Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/)
-   -   "Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/service-theft-deterrent-system-vehicle-wont-start-new-battery-56177/)

atex33 January 30th, 2013 8:45 AM

"Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery

This should work for almost all newer models such as the Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Sierra, Silverado, etc. My 2007 Silverado truck would not start after buying a new battery and the message center was telling me "Service Theft Deterrent System". I tried just about everything, searching online, reading the manual, unhooking the battery, but did not get it figured out until the tow truck driver showed me. All you need to do to reset the system is unhook your battery, hold both the positive and negative terminals together, where they are touching and hold them together for 45-60 sec. Hook them back up and she cranked right up! It's crazy something so easy to do worked after a few days of wondering how much this was going to cost me! Can't beat FREE! Hope I can help someone because I couldn't find this solution on the internet and I know I'm not the only one this has happened too!

Isaacqmv3720 September 21st, 2014 8:07 PM

In my chevrolet colorado truck panel show Service Theft Deterrent System so how can i deal with problem?
Please advice.

Chevrolet Customer Service September 22nd, 2014 9:29 PM

Hey Isaacqmv3720,

What model year is your Chevy Colorado? We recognize you're seeking advice on the thread, but please let us know if we can look further into this matter for you. We understand how this must be frustrating and would be happy to help. Please private message us your VIN and mileage if interested.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

thorpedo November 25th, 2014 8:03 PM

Same problem

I'm having the same problem with my 2014 Camaro LS. Tried unhooking and touching the battery cables together for over a minute, no change. Any other suggestions??? Thanks.

Chevrolet Customer Service November 25th, 2014 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by thorpedo (Post 289844)
I'm having the same problem with my 2014 Camaro LS. Tried unhooking and touching the battery cables together for over a minute, no change. Any other suggestions??? Thanks.

I apologize for this! If you need any additional assistance into the dealership, please feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

jesusm0993 December 14th, 2014 2:05 PM

Originally Posted by atex33 (Post 239533)
This should work for almost all newer models such as the Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Sierra, Silverado, etc. My 2007 Silverado truck would not start after buying a new battery and the message center was telling me "Service Theft Deterrent System". I tried just about everything, searching online, reading the manual, unhooking the battery, but did not get it figured out until the tow truck driver showed me. All you need to do to reset the system is unhook your battery, hold both the positive and negative terminals together, where they are touching and hold them together for 45-60 sec. Hook them back up and she cranked right up! It's crazy something so easy to do worked after a few days of wondering how much this was going to cost me! Can't beat FREE! Hope I can help someone because I couldn't find this solution on the internet and I know I'm not the only one this has happened too!

I tried this on my 07 Impala but didn't have much luck. I'm still having the same light on "service theft deterrent system". My car has been like this for about a month now. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it

Meganleblanc January 10th, 2015 8:20 PM

Help!

Originally Posted by jesusm0993 (Post 290948)
I tried this on my 07 Impala but didn't have much luck. I'm still having the same light on "service theft deterrent system". My car has been like this for about a month now. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it

The same thing is currently happening to my o7 Impala. What fixed it. Can you help. I seem to just be having problem after with this Impala. And it's a shame as I love my car.

drlcs2b April 23rd, 2015 10:28 AM

I found this; it may help with your issues :

Make sure the battery if fully charged because this procedure may take up to 30 minutes and you cannot start the vehicle during this time. The instrument panel cluster (IPC). BCM and PCM must be in working order and the Passkey system repaired

1. Turn the key to ON and attempt to start the engine and release the key to the ON position.

2. The SECURITY light will illuminate. Wait 10 minutes until it turns off.

3. Turn the key to OFF for 10 seconds.

4. Turn the key to ON and attempt to start the engine. If it starts and run, the system has reset. If it doesn’t start or run and release the key to the ON position and complete the rest of the steps.

5. The SECURITY light will illuminate. Wait 10 minutes until it turns off.

6. Turn the key to OFF and wait 10 seconds.

7. Turn the key to ON and attempt to start the engine and release the key to the ON position.

8. The SECURITY light will illuminate. Wait 10 minutes until it turns off.

9. Turn the key to OFF and wait 10 seconds.

10. Start the engine

derrickjaxn May 31st, 2015 9:37 AM

2012 Cruze

I'm having the same problem with my 2012 Cruze and I started Saturday night so all dealers are closed tomorrow and have to be at work Monday morning before any of them open meaning I'll be coming out of pocket for a rental. Between the recalls and random but very inconvenient mishaps with this car despite the upkeep I maintain with it, it's become a huge liability financially and to my peace of mind. How can o resolve this and prevent this from happening in the future other than switching to Ford or Volkswagen?

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service (Post 285364)
Hey Isaacqmv3720,

What model year is your Chevy Colorado? We recognize you're seeking advice on the thread, but please let us know if we can look further into this matter for you. We understand how this must be frustrating and would be happy to help. Please private message us your VIN and mileage if interested.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Chevrolet Customer Service June 1st, 2015 7:52 AM

Originally Posted by derrickjaxn (Post 302858)
I'm having the same problem with my 2012 Cruze and I started Saturday night so all dealers are closed tomorrow and have to be at work Monday morning before any of them open meaning I'll be coming out of pocket for a rental. Between the recalls and random but very inconvenient mishaps with this car despite the upkeep I maintain with it, it's become a huge liability financially and to my peace of mind. How can o resolve this and prevent this from happening in the future other than switching to Ford or Volkswagen?

Hello derrickjaxn,

I certainly understand how frustrating out of pocket expenses can be and I'd like to apologize for the trouble you're experiencing with your 2012 Cruze. We'd like to look more into this and work with your dealership toward a possible resolution. Feel free to send your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership in a private message.

We are looking forward to your message. :)

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care