Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/)
-   -   "Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/service-theft-deterrent-system-vehicle-wont-start-new-battery-56177/)

atex33 January 30th, 2013 8:45 AM

"Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery

This should work for almost all newer models such as the Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Sierra, Silverado, etc. My 2007 Silverado truck would not start after buying a new battery and the message center was telling me "Service Theft Deterrent System". I tried just about everything, searching online, reading the manual, unhooking the battery, but did not get it figured out until the tow truck driver showed me. All you need to do to reset the system is unhook your battery, hold both the positive and negative terminals together, where they are touching and hold them together for 45-60 sec. Hook them back up and she cranked right up! It's crazy something so easy to do worked after a few days of wondering how much this was going to cost me! Can't beat FREE! Hope I can help someone because I couldn't find this solution on the internet and I know I'm not the only one this has happened too!

Isaacqmv3720 September 21st, 2014 8:07 PM

In my chevrolet colorado truck panel show Service Theft Deterrent System so how can i deal with problem?
Please advice.

Chevrolet Customer Service September 22nd, 2014 9:29 PM

Hey Isaacqmv3720,

What model year is your Chevy Colorado? We recognize you're seeking advice on the thread, but please let us know if we can look further into this matter for you. We understand how this must be frustrating and would be happy to help. Please private message us your VIN and mileage if interested.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

thorpedo November 25th, 2014 8:03 PM

Same problem

I'm having the same problem with my 2014 Camaro LS. Tried unhooking and touching the battery cables together for over a minute, no change. Any other suggestions??? Thanks.

Chevrolet Customer Service November 25th, 2014 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by thorpedo (Post 289844)
I'm having the same problem with my 2014 Camaro LS. Tried unhooking and touching the battery cables together for over a minute, no change. Any other suggestions??? Thanks.

I apologize for this! If you need any additional assistance into the dealership, please feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

jesusm0993 December 14th, 2014 2:05 PM

Originally Posted by atex33 (Post 239533)
This should work for almost all newer models such as the Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Sierra, Silverado, etc. My 2007 Silverado truck would not start after buying a new battery and the message center was telling me "Service Theft Deterrent System". I tried just about everything, searching online, reading the manual, unhooking the battery, but did not get it figured out until the tow truck driver showed me. All you need to do to reset the system is unhook your battery, hold both the positive and negative terminals together, where they are touching and hold them together for 45-60 sec. Hook them back up and she cranked right up! It's crazy something so easy to do worked after a few days of wondering how much this was going to cost me! Can't beat FREE! Hope I can help someone because I couldn't find this solution on the internet and I know I'm not the only one this has happened too!

I tried this on my 07 Impala but didn't have much luck. I'm still having the same light on "service theft deterrent system". My car has been like this for about a month now. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it

Meganleblanc January 10th, 2015 8:20 PM

Help!

Originally Posted by jesusm0993 (Post 290948)
I tried this on my 07 Impala but didn't have much luck. I'm still having the same light on "service theft deterrent system". My car has been like this for about a month now. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it

The same thing is currently happening to my o7 Impala. What fixed it. Can you help. I seem to just be having problem after with this Impala. And it's a shame as I love my car.

drlcs2b April 23rd, 2015 10:28 AM

I found this; it may help with your issues :

Make sure the battery if fully charged because this procedure may take up to 30 minutes and you cannot start the vehicle during this time. The instrument panel cluster (IPC). BCM and PCM must be in working order and the Passkey system repaired

1. Turn the key to ON and attempt to start the engine and release the key to the ON position.

2. The SECURITY light will illuminate. Wait 10 minutes until it turns off.

3. Turn the key to OFF for 10 seconds.

4. Turn the key to ON and attempt to start the engine. If it starts and run, the system has reset. If it doesn’t start or run and release the key to the ON position and complete the rest of the steps.

5. The SECURITY light will illuminate. Wait 10 minutes until it turns off.

6. Turn the key to OFF and wait 10 seconds.

7. Turn the key to ON and attempt to start the engine and release the key to the ON position.

8. The SECURITY light will illuminate. Wait 10 minutes until it turns off.

9. Turn the key to OFF and wait 10 seconds.

10. Start the engine

derrickjaxn May 31st, 2015 9:37 AM

2012 Cruze

I'm having the same problem with my 2012 Cruze and I started Saturday night so all dealers are closed tomorrow and have to be at work Monday morning before any of them open meaning I'll be coming out of pocket for a rental. Between the recalls and random but very inconvenient mishaps with this car despite the upkeep I maintain with it, it's become a huge liability financially and to my peace of mind. How can o resolve this and prevent this from happening in the future other than switching to Ford or Volkswagen?

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service (Post 285364)
Hey Isaacqmv3720,

What model year is your Chevy Colorado? We recognize you're seeking advice on the thread, but please let us know if we can look further into this matter for you. We understand how this must be frustrating and would be happy to help. Please private message us your VIN and mileage if interested.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Chevrolet Customer Service June 1st, 2015 7:52 AM

Originally Posted by derrickjaxn (Post 302858)
I'm having the same problem with my 2012 Cruze and I started Saturday night so all dealers are closed tomorrow and have to be at work Monday morning before any of them open meaning I'll be coming out of pocket for a rental. Between the recalls and random but very inconvenient mishaps with this car despite the upkeep I maintain with it, it's become a huge liability financially and to my peace of mind. How can o resolve this and prevent this from happening in the future other than switching to Ford or Volkswagen?

Hello derrickjaxn,

I certainly understand how frustrating out of pocket expenses can be and I'd like to apologize for the trouble you're experiencing with your 2012 Cruze. We'd like to look more into this and work with your dealership toward a possible resolution. Feel free to send your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership in a private message.

We are looking forward to your message. :)

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care

nichollies June 2nd, 2015 2:37 PM

Thank goodness I found this site and can see the frustrations here. I went to a concert last Thursday (5/28/15) and after it was finished, came out to start mt car. Nope, no start. Theft Deterrent Error was on the dash. I didn't know what it meant. A lovely taxi driver came and jump started it. I now know it was a coincidence that it started as the error message has nothing to do with the battery. Now I have Stablitrak messages, Power Steering messages. I went running this morning. Car wouldn't start. After getting out and getting a few times, it started. Same as when I went to go to work a few hours later. This is so frustrating. My car is out of warranty. The dealer says they can't do anything as they have to see the error. I don't earn a lot of money and this car was a stretch for me. I have no idea what to do.

tomanumano June 15th, 2015 7:41 PM

Same problem

I just started having the same problem with my 2011 Chevy Cruz. Not sure what to do. Really don't want to have to get another car. All these recalls are getting ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service (Post 302918)
Hello derrickjaxn,

I certainly understand how frustrating out of pocket expenses can be and I'd like to apologize for the trouble you're experiencing with your 2012 Cruze. We'd like to look more into this and work with your dealership toward a possible resolution. Feel free to send your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership in a private message.

We are looking forward to your message. :)

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care

Chevrolet Customer Service June 16th, 2015 8:38 AM

Originally Posted by tomanumano (Post 303884)
I just started having the same problem with my 2011 Chevy Cruz. Not sure what to do. Really don't want to have to get another car. All these recalls are getting ridiculous.

Hi Tom,

We completely understand how frustrating this may seem, and we would be more than happy to look into this more for you. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We would be happy to assist the best way possible.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

dambey August 27th, 2015 12:45 PM

I have a 2013 Chevy Cruze that is doing the same thing. I followed your recommendation, disconnected positive and negative terminals from the battery, held them together for little over a minute and it worked. However, if aren't planning to drive immediately to the dealer, then you wind up repeating the same procedure whenever you need to restart your car....this sucks! Chevrolet needs to fix this problem! Something is defective with this theft system!

Sherann33 September 14th, 2015 11:56 AM

Hello, i have a 2013 chevy cruze, my car wouldnt start my car this morning, i have the security deterrant message, the battery is currently charging if this does not work, what are my options, my warranty is already up and I cant be without my car..

Phillip123 September 21st, 2015 7:01 PM

All you have to do when you have a battery problem :D

Russians know it all!

bsoperations September 22nd, 2015 1:19 PM

Check key fob

Originally Posted by Isaacqmv3720 (Post 285312)
In my chevrolet colorado truck panel show Service Theft Deterrent System so how can i deal with problem?
Please advice.

Just had this problem and found it to be key fob. The fob worked the door locks and trunk just fine but car would not start. I took apart fob and found currosion on and around battery I cleaned it up reinstalled same battery (I was stranded) and it started up just fine hope this helps

bsoperations September 22nd, 2015 1:23 PM

Check key fob

Originally Posted by dambey (Post 307592)
I have a 2013 Chevy Cruze that is doing the same thing. I followed your recommendation, disconnected positive and negative terminals from the battery, held them together for little over a minute and it worked. However, if aren't planning to drive immediately to the dealer, then you wind up repeating the same procedure whenever you need to restart your car....this sucks! Chevrolet needs to fix this problem! Something is defective with this theft system!

Clean and replace battery in key fob. Mine worked doors and trunk but would not start car I recovered battery cleaned up the contacts and reinstalled old battery ,as I was stranded, and everything worked fine hope this helps

Doug Blissett October 27th, 2015 12:03 PM

Had the same issue with my 2012 Cruze. I was able to fix the issue just by tightening the negative battery cable connector. 5 minutes with a 10mm socket. No more issue. Give it a try, make sure and don't touch any metal with the wrench when tighting.

I was amazed that I could turn the nut almost a full turn.

Jaeluv4 November 15th, 2015 12:18 AM

I'm having the same problem with my 2012 Cruze and It started Sunday night so all dealers are closed and having to be to work Monday morning before any dealerships are open hopefully I don't have to come out of pocket for any random parts. Between the recalls and the inconvenient services with this car is starting to become too much.Chevy really needs to do better with the product of these cars

kentsbowtie March 9th, 2016 5:03 PM

Theft detterent system

Well Jasmine from GM,
I have had my 2015 silverado still under warrenty in four times for this problem! GM is grasping at straws! I have a new vehicle that I cannot trust to start!! Whats your solution for me? I emailed Allen Betty Himself twice! This is obviously a common problem in GM AUTOS WHEN WILL IT BE RESOLVED! DO I PAINT MY NEW TRUCK THAT IM PAYING FOR YELLOW AND OFFER TO DO COMMERCIALS FOR FORD MOTOR CO?

drewmelvin April 15th, 2016 1:57 PM

Vehicle won't start

This car (2012 Chevy Cruze Eco) is so frustrating. Had to pay $120 just for dealer to look at it. Before I called the truck I tried disconnecting the battery for a half hour. I tried waiting out the warning light as another contributor suggested. No luck. So it's at the dealer now and I'm without a car. This should be covered or a recall. Nearly everyone who has this car has this issue at some point it seems.

Chevrolet Customer Service April 15th, 2016 5:29 PM

Originally Posted by drewmelvin (Post 320384)
This car (2012 Chevy Cruze Eco) is so frustrating. Had to pay $120 just for dealer to look at it. Before I called the truck I tried disconnecting the battery for a half hour. I tried waiting out the warning light as another contributor suggested. No luck. So it's at the dealer now and I'm without a car. This should be covered or a recall. Nearly everyone who has this car has this issue at some point it seems.

Hello drewmelvin,

I recognize your frustration and do apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced with your Cruze. Please keep us updated on your dealership visit. We're available via private message if further assistance is needed.

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

Franco.Jenny Reyes Santillan April 26th, 2016 9:25 PM

I have the exact same problem

drewmelvin April 26th, 2016 11:19 PM

Dealer

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service (Post 320392)
Hello drewmelvin,

I recognize your frustration and do apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced with your Cruze. Please keep us updated on your dealership visit. We're available via private message if further assistance is needed.

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

It ended up costing me $429.00 and was not covered under the useless wrap coverage I bought when I bought the car new from Chevy. This was to program the ECM and provide me with a new key fob.

Chevrolet Customer Service April 27th, 2016 4:11 PM

Originally Posted by Franco.Jenny Reyes Santillan (Post 320957)
I have the exact same problem

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing a similar concern, Franco. Have you made your servicing dealership aware? We'd be happy to contact them on your behalf and research this in greater depth. Our team is available via private message and only need your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership to get started.

Thank you!

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

Chevrolet Customer Service April 27th, 2016 4:28 PM

Originally Posted by drewmelvin (Post 320962)
It ended up costing me $429.00 and was not covered under the useless wrap coverage I bought when I bought the car new from Chevy. This was to program the ECM and provide me with a new key fob.

Thank you for the follow up, drewmelvin. I understand how unsettling out of pocket expenses can be and do apologize for the undesirable outcome. If you have any additional questions or concerns, you're more than welcome to send us a private message. We'd be happy to help.

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

alexacurtis August 3rd, 2016 11:58 AM

I am having the same issue with my 2012 Chevy Cruze, it is at the dealer now. It is very frustrating, is there any solution that was designed to correct this issue without out of pocket expenses?

April Maravilla August 5th, 2016 5:30 PM

08 Chevy Impala won't start

Hi my 08 Chevy Impala v6 3.5L won't start after I changed the module please help it is telling me to service the theft deterrent system. 2g1wb58k6I9185480

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service (Post 289849)
I apologize for this! If you need any additional assistance into the dealership, please feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

Tony Ray August 5th, 2016 7:47 PM

No power to radio

How do i reset my radio without going to dealer

Tony Ray August 5th, 2016 7:49 PM

2012 Chevy Malibu

2012 Chevy Malibu reprogram without dealership is there a way

Theresa Fells November 13th, 2016 7:10 PM

Theft Deterrent System/ Flashing on Dashboard

I'm having the same problem with my 2013 Chevy cruze this has happened before, I got a new battery in September 2016!! Now tonight it happens again could someone help me please my warranty has expired and I don't have all that money to spend .

Leeanna Lynn May 15th, 2017 9:12 PM

2011 suburban

I have a 2011 chev suburban and one day randomly I tried to start my car and this went off. My car works fine but the "service theft deterrent" light is still on which annoys/worst me. Seems like a common prob w chevs. Wish chev would do something about this

Cguionjr June 8th, 2017 4:46 PM

2013 Malibu locked out

So my car was actually stolen. After paying $300 to get it out of the tow yard, I'm sitting here with a car that won't start.

How do do we reset this deterrent system? Tried the battery reset and touch the ends. No work.

Trying to 10 min turn key thing. But the tow yard is closing in a bit.

chchapma September 22nd, 2017 7:15 AM

2014 Impala.
Battery replaced in 2017

Two weeks in a row, I'm getting "Service Theft Deterrent System." Last week, when it happens, I left the car in a safe location and was going to have the car towed to the dealership the next morning. The next morning it started right up and ran great until this morning. After 5 minutes, the car started up.

Any new advice?

Julia McEntire October 8th, 2017 10:29 AM

Same issue with my 2014 Impala..For a couple of weeks would get in and try to crank and it would not. I would do a lock/unlock ritual with the key fob and it would crank. Then last week, got home and out of car. Husband asked me to move car, car would not turn over at all, even with my rituals. He checked battery all seemed good there, did unhook and hook back. Left it for a while and came back and it cranked right up. Then next morning was leaving to go to work, nothing. So I took his truck to work. He later got in there that morning and it cranked, so he took up to the dealership. They confirmed it wasn't the key fobs...but decided it was the power cables, both were pulling the opposite of what they said it should. Sorry don't remember what they said, it sounded like "blah blah" to me. So $310 later they replaced both cables. ALl seemed to be working fine for a couple of days...then it started again! I think Chevrolet needs to get their act together on this...seems to be a pretty big issue they need to resolve and all of this should be a recall of some sort...My husband and I bleed Chevrolet blue, but even he is threatening to move to another brand if can't get this fixed.

So if anyone has any other ideas, I am all ears! I am afraid to take car sometimes in case I can't get it cranked again...I need my reliable vehicle back!

knjkav October 20th, 2017 11:26 AM

Thanks to some posts that steer you in the right direction i tried the battery thing and it didn't work on mine and then i tried to relearn method and it took several tries. it would be the 10 minutes, 20 minutes and 30 minutes method. depending on individual bases it might work first try or second try or the third.
1- try to start the car, if it won't turn over and the Lock symbol stays on then leave it with the ignition in the on position for ten minutes. after ten min. turn to off position and wait 20 seconds try to start if it doesn't don't turn to off and leave for another 10 minutes then off for 20 sec. and try to start. if it doesn't start don't turn to off position and leave for another 10 min. then turn to off for 20 sec. and try to start. mine started at this point and was fine and happppppy.
I hope yours does the same thing. otherwise i think you have to tow to dealer and my parts department at chevy dealer said they will charge $40 to do the programming for you.
Some cases the receiver transmitter in the vehicle goes bad and that cost over 200 for part then installation and reprogram. hope its not your case.

deesguy November 18th, 2017 5:24 PM

My 2015 Cruze is having same problem, I drove it home and when I went to go out it wouldn't start. Got same messages and tried cleaning battery post and still nothing. This is my second Chevy Cruze and both had problems. I was thinking on buying Chevy truck but with problems like these I don't know if I want to buy another Chevy product ever.

knjkav November 20th, 2017 3:58 PM

Originally Posted by deesguy (Post 347774)
My 2015 Cruze is having same problem, I drove it home and when I went to go out it wouldn't start. Got same messages and tried cleaning battery post and still nothing. This is my second Chevy Cruze and both had problems. I was thinking on buying Chevy truck but with problems like these I don't know if I want to buy another Chevy product ever.

Hey Deesguy , don't down a car for such problem. I am a auto remarketing company and i buy all different model cars and everyone of them have different issues. so if you buy a ford you might not have this issue but i bet you will have a different one.. i buy hyundai and a lot of them the steering makes a clunking noise and it actually moves up and down and it is because of a $1.50 rubber part in the electric steering that goes bad. so unless it is not major like the CVT transmission on nissans, you can't judge a manufacturer with these things problem. the problem is the computer they use in cars these days which help you diagnose a problem but electronics goes bad like your laptop and tv.

speedOhead November 21st, 2017 7:43 AM

good to know, thanks