Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Silverado Jerking. Experts please help!

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2014, 6:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Silverado Jerking. Experts please help!

I just brought my 2009 5.3L 4wd Chevy Silverado into the Chevy dealership for an oil leak, and for the fact that when I put the car into drive, and then start to give it gas, it jerks forward.

So I got new Transmission Solenoids, new pistons, got a new oil pan gasket, new front axle seal, new coolant lines and transmission lines.

So now my vehicle doesn't leak, but it still jerks forward.

To be more specific, the car only does this when going into drive. Typically, it is when I move

I will come to a complete stop, shift, and then when I try to give it gas to move forward, it jerks. this never used to happen. I just went over 70k miles.

Does anyone know what can fix this? the tech told me that the transmission is learning how I drive, and to give it 3 weeks. I don't know if I believe that, as it is the same issue that I had when I brought the car in.

Also, once the vehicle is at operating temperature, this doesn't seem to happen anymore, it is just from a cold start.

Help Please!
Old March 7th, 2014, 9:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the transmission computer has something called shift adapts. The trans will compensate for wear, driving habits etc and tailor the shift strategy to produce smooth , firm shifts.

After replacement of certain hard parts, electronic parts, the trans itself or tcm programming the adaptive strategy will have to relearn. If this is the case, the trans shifts will return to normal after a period of driving. The Alison trans has a fast adaptive learn feature but the others trans have to be driven.

I updated my pcm programming on my car that has 120 000miles. It took a week to return to normal.

If nothing changes definitely go back.
Old March 20th, 2014, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you so much for your response. I have given it some time and I am still getting that jerk feeling. Also, now that it is a bit warmer out, sometimes it isn't as firm as a jerk, but sometimes multiple small "pulses"

It seems to always feel as though it is coming from the rear. (granted, it is a rear wheel drive vehicle (and 4x4))

Could this have something to do with the rear breaks? What about the rear diff?

I would love to hear some more ideas!

This only tends to happen when its freezing outside, and gets better as it gets warmer, making me think it is a fluid issue.

Once the vehicle is warmed up, I can turn the vehicle off, walk away and come back and there will be no issues whatsoever.

With all the work on the trans, I can't believe that that is the issue!

Thanks!
Old March 20th, 2014, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

P.S., my brother in law is driving it to Memphis this weekend to Tow a motorcycle back up, and If I don't see a change next week I will bring it back in. However, I would still love some feedback if any of you know so I could run it past the dealer!