General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Silverado won't start after removing bed

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2016 | 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default Silverado won't start after removing bed

I have a 2001 Silverado 1500 2WD with 4.8 liter. I removed the bed and rear bumper to do some body work about 1 month ago. Finished the body work, but now the truck won't start (I have NOT put the bed or rear bumper back on yet). Does the bed and rear bumper have to be on for the truck to start? I wasn't sure if all the wiring for the bed and rear bumper had to be plugged in for the truck to start. It appears the fuel pump is not working but I'm not sure (was working fine before removing the bed and rear bumper. I did notice I broke the grounding strap from the fuel filler to the bed, but I hooked up a temporary one. Still won't start. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thank you
Old January 21st, 2016 | 8:24 AM
Super Moderator

that grd strap to my knowledge is to prevent electrostatic discharge when filling the tank not for grding the fuel pump. It will not cause a no start.

all the wiring was left with the chassis correct?
Start diagnosis just the same as if the box was never removed. connect the intank fuel pump.
do you have a no crank condition or crank but no start condition? Is the theft light on?
Old January 21st, 2016 | 2:03 PM
CF Veteran

you sure you didn't leave a ground unhooked?
Old January 21st, 2016 | 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

tech2,

Thank you for the reply. I agree. I do not believe the ground strap effects the fuel pump. I did hook up a temporary ground strap, and truck still would not start.

The truck was running fine until the bed and rear bumper were removed (the bed and rear bumper are still off the truck). There are 3 electrical connections still unhooked at the rear of the turck that connect to the bed and rear bumper. Would that cause a no start condition? The engine does crank over just fine, but won't fire. I'm fairly certain the fuel pump is not working. When I turn on the key, I can't hear or feel the fuel pump working. Easy to check that with the bed off. I did remove and check the 2 electrical connections on top of the fuel pump, reinstalled, but still won't fire.

I will check the theft light, but I believe since the truck does crank over, that should not be the problem. The truck did briefly fire when I first tried to start it, but quickly stopped running. Hasn't fired since. Any suggestions on what to do are appreciated.

Thank you
Old January 21st, 2016 | 8:22 PM
Super Moderator

if you have a fuel pressure gauge, check fuel pressure....should be maybe 55psi?

if you do not have a gauge, have someone crank it over while you spray a 3second shot of brake cleaner into the air cleaner snorkel. if it fires up briefly...you know its a fuel delivery problem. check for power and grd to the fp.
Old January 22nd, 2016 | 3:46 PM
CF Active Member

there is a ground from the pump which is attached to the frame rail closest to the fuel pump.check for the ground wire coming from the fuel pump module.sounds like a bad ground wire.