Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

SM420 Transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2016, 7:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SM420 Transmission questions

Im building a 1995 Chevy s10 with a 305 and a manual. This is the first build i've done like this and im off to a rocky start with the transmission i found out in the junk yard. About the truck, its going to have a 305 TBI in it out of a Camaro. i wanted a manual transmission (didn't care what kind, just so long as i get to rock through the gears). Im making my own harness for the throttle body and i have everything else figured out. Now im down to the transmission. I pulled what i have identified as an SM420 4 speed transmission out of what i think was a 1967 Chevy C10. Didn't have the parking brake assembly on the back nor did it have a transfer case, its just rear wheel drive. I didn't think of it until now but the truck in the yard had a 2 piece driveshaft with a hanger bearing and the output on the transmission is just a yolk like you would find on a rear differential. My first idea was to mate up the front section of the C10 drive shaft with the rear section of my s10 drive shaft to hook it to the rear end. What i didn't account for was the rear end is going to be bouncing up and down and the driveshaft won't be sliding freely on the output of the transmission as it is just a yolk bolted to the output. Is there any way past this? if i unbolt that yolk on the back of the tranny are there splines? Or do i need the rear section of driveshaft out of the c10 and just retro fit it to my S10? If i need to explain this better please let me know as i find it confusing while proof reading it lol and thanks in advance. that picture is the same tranny but it is off of google images.
Attached Images