Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2016, 3:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issues

Ok so this is how my last 2 weeks have been going:

Truck will start like normal, show nothing wrong (besides parking brake light being on), will drive 45 minutes to where I go to university. After being in class for a few hours and going back to the truck to go somewhere, it will not start. It will crank over like its starting but never start. Changed the distributor cap and rotor, distributor was failing, problem still persists. If I can get the truck running, it will only stay running while having my foot on the gas, while driving, you'd never think there is anything wrong. Also changed the battery since it was over 7 years old, made sure it was fully charged (I know battery has nothing to do with it but just eliminating possibilities) and found my positive battery cable to be corroded. Had this issue yesterday, got to Uni at 11am, got done with classes at 3, no start, gf came picked me up at 6, still no start, not even with starting fluid. Go back to uni this morning, fires right up like no problem, engine wasn't hot at 3 or 6, everything had cooled down completely...

what do yall think could be the issue.....

Last edited by NevaMO; May 6th, 2016 at 8:33 PM.
Old May 6th, 2016, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turned out the shop tech guy had seen this issue before, apparently some how the distributor itself gets magnetized and messes up everything