Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.
View Poll Results: Modern Driver Assistance features will make seniors lazier behind the wheel
Yes
0%
No
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Supercruise and Driver Assist for Seniors

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2023, 9:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercruise and Driver Assist for Seniors

Hey y’all! My grandparents are looking to purchase a suburban, ever since the 80s they’ve always had one and their 2014 is starting to leak oil and get a little tired. Looking at the new ones, considering they are both mid 70s I wanted to emphasize driver assistance.

They tried super-cruise on a test drive and liked it a lot, though not trusting it on busy interstates.

My question is, as they become less aware and sharp drivers, will these driver assistance features make them lazy and negate their benefit to their safety and everyone else’s, or will the features just be a nice fail-safe when my grandparents aren’t sharp enough?

Just wanted to hear some thoughts and anecdotes y’all make have on this issue
Old December 3rd, 2023, 9:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

we've already seen numerous crashes involving inattentive (even sleeping!) drivers behind the wheel who put too much faith into these driverless systems.
Old December 3rd, 2023, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
we've already seen numerous crashes involving inattentive (even sleeping!) drivers behind the wheel who put too much faith into these driverless systems.
Makes sense, salesman told us the vehicle will pull over and call OnStar if the driver is unresponsive, is that true? Or are many of these accidents due to a failure while in SuperCruise?
Old December 3rd, 2023, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

If a person isn't sharp enough to drive safely, then it's time to retire from driving, IMHO.
Old December 3rd, 2023, 10:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
If a person isn't sharp enough to drive safely, then it's time to retire from driving, IMHO.
Agreed, and when they get to that point they will definitely not be on the road anymore. They haven’t had any accidents or near misses I’ve seen, we just want to be prepared for when that stuff does start happening.

Old December 3rd, 2023, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 198 Posts

IMO all the "great features" in today's vehicles are responsible for many cases of distracted driving accidents & deaths, I did my best to keep my 85yr old dad in his reliable safe toyota rather than have him "upgrade" to a vehicle with big touch screens. Maybe get their current motor rebuilt is the rest of the car is well cared for; keep them in something they are used to operating.
The following users liked this post:
mountainmanjoe (December 3rd, 2023)