Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Synthetic Oils

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2011, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you should be completely confident in synthetic oils since they have been around and proven in daily use as well as in racing since the early 1970's. Amsoil introduced the first synthetic in 1972 and every major oil manufacturer has come out with a synthetic or blend since then. Try it you'll like it.
Old March 26th, 2011, 6:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Needmore
Well you should be completely confident in synthetic oils since they have been around and proven in daily use as well as in racing since the early 1970's. Amsoil introduced the first synthetic in 1972 and every major oil manufacturer has come out with a synthetic or blend since then. Try it you'll like it.
Actully, synthetic oils starting being used during World War II. But you are correct about them being completely reliable.
Old March 26th, 2011, 7:34 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Default GM Approved Engine Oils

Amsoil has been around a while but currently is not on GM's approved oils list, something to keep in mind if you are under a 5yr 100k mile warranty....

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsi...ngine_oils.pdf
Old March 27th, 2011, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

This may be true. However Amsoil has several API approved and tested products and according to the Magnuson/Moss act of 1975 unless they are providing your oil for you at no cost they cannot tell you what you can or cannot use.
Old March 28th, 2011, 8:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Mobil 1 is revered by many, IIRC, also GM.

I'm an AMSOIL user myself, but I don't like their slick-skinned filters, which

tend to back off. I use K&N oil filters, pretty decent in anybody's book.

And I'm still saving 35% of my cost on 3K changes.
Old March 29th, 2011, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Mobil 1 is highly regarded but here is some interesting reading https://www.amsoil.com/performancete...veOilTest.aspx
I have not heard of filters backing off but who's to say . K&N does make a good filter. So does Wix.
Old March 29th, 2011, 8:28 AM
CF Beginner

Yes synthetics were first used in AIrcraft engines. The first API approved synthetic was brought to market by AMSOIL in the 1970's
Old March 29th, 2011, 2:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Only thing Syntehtic tries to sneak in seals in cold weather, my rear end engine seals @ 200,000 Kms LEAKS cause of it and no doubt engine is quieter , using for almost last 12 years on this 1997 astro van.
Old March 29th, 2011, 7:53 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Needmore
This may be true. However Amsoil has several API approved and tested products and according to the Magnuson/Moss act of 1975 unless they are providing your oil for you at no cost they cannot tell you what you can or cannot use.
But they can refuse warranty work should the failure be related to the lubrication system, weather the oil was the cause or not....

If the engine fails and has to be replaced the dealer is most likely going to want proof and records of regular oil changes and the products used.
I don't disagree that Amzoil is a respectable product, but the manufacture/dealer is going to be watching their bottom line and using non supported products is just the out they need.

While under warranty its always a good idea to go with what is recommended and that you can find it in writing
Old September 15th, 2011, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

I got a week vacation from the chevy malibu forum for stating that about Mobil 1 .

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oils