Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Trans won't shift into 3rd or 4th Gear

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2017, 6:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans won't shift into 3rd or 4th Gear

My trans just started to NOT shift into 3rd or 4th. I was cruising along with the cruise control on and all of a sudden the RPMs jumps up and I was decelerating. Once the engine hits a certain RPM like around 3200, it started to pull like passing gear. I slowed way down to 45. Gave it the gas and it would slip into second and I could accelerate. I'd like to this preface this by noting that I hardly drive this car. I store it in winter and drive it occasionally in the summer. There is only 77,000 miles on the car. I did notice some trans fluid under the car when I pulled it out after sitting since Oct. I checked the trans level and it was still pretty full. I added some trans stop leak. It wasn't to long after this that the trans would not shift into 3rd or 4th. That was about 2 weeks. In that time I only drove the car twice and put on about 240 miles. This morning I drove it and it shifted fine for about 15 miles and then started to lose the two gears. Could this be the solenoids or the clutch packs?

Last edited by Bruce Flesher; August 29th, 2017 at 7:40 AM. Reason: Added more text