Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Trip A / Trip B / Odometer Reading

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2014, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip A / Trip B / Odometer Reading

I recently purchased a used 2005 K2500 Chevrolet Suburban. The odometer mileage corresponds to information obtained on Carfax so I believe the odometer to be correct. Most of the service work on the vehicle was performed at a Chevrolet dealer so I'm under the impression the information feeds into Carfax.

However, when I scroll through the Driver Information Center and I look at Trip A and Trip B I see the Trip B mileage is much higher than the odometer reading. How can that be?

The odometer reading is approximately 86,000. The Trip A mileage seems to correspond to the tankful of gas so I think the seller was using Trip A to calculate (keep track of) fuel economy, local trips, etc. The Trip B amount is 137,000. So even if the Trip B was never reset it seems like it should read the same as the odometer. Is there something I'm missing?

I posted this in General Tech because it might apply to other vehicles.

Thanks for your help.
Old January 26th, 2014, 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

I've been looking around on other car forums and several people have asked a similar question to mine. Most of them have subsequently determined there is a decimal place (for tenths of a mile) on the trip meter but not on the odometer. That doesn't seem to be true with mine although I could certainly be wrong. I looked closely at the Trip A and Trip B readout and I don't see a decimal point.

Am I overlooking something?
Old January 27th, 2014, 1:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings nvestysly, welcome to the Forum.

Please don't be discouraged by the lack of responses, people are reading your posts. It's just that it seems that no one has a reasonable answer to your question, and sorry to say, neither do I.

Be patient, it's possible that the right person hasn't run across this thread yet.

Welcome again,
S.W.
Old May 17th, 2014, 5:17 AM
CF Beginner

Default answer

Both trip odometer readings are in tenths.