Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

truck is dead in the water...HELP PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2012, 7:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck is dead in the water...HELP PLEASE!!!

so yesterday i changed the steering cloumn in my truck and a bunch of fuses. all was working well last night. today truck was running great, then i noticed with my left signal on, dash lights were flashing again. got home changed a fuse that popped again and now the truck won't start at all. it seems like the starter isn't getting power at all. its an 81 chev c10, anybody know where the starter relay might be? if there is one. i didn;t notice a spot for a fuse for my starter in my fuse box, should there be? i'm guessing not since it worked before. i just put in a brand new starter back in october.

when i'm laying on my floor and turning my key, i can feel the cable or whatever moving on the steering column to activate the starter, but its just not starting. i'm getting adequate power to everything. battery meter goes to normal (for starting when not running, at 1o or 12 volts, whatever it is without the alt running it to 14). my stereo comes on, subs work and all, no issues with that at all.

please, if you have any ideas as to what my issue is, please get back to me asap, as this is my daily driver.
Old May 31st, 2012, 3:31 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by L1NK1NP4RK
so yesterday i changed the steering cloumn in my truck and a bunch of fuses. all was working well last night. today truck was running great, then i noticed with my left signal on, dash lights were flashing again. got home changed a fuse that popped again and now the truck won't start at all. it seems like the starter isn't getting power at all. its an 81 chev c10, anybody know where the starter relay might be? if there is one. i didn;t notice a spot for a fuse for my starter in my fuse box, should there be? i'm guessing not since it worked before. i just put in a brand new starter back in october.

when i'm laying on my floor and turning my key, i can feel the cable or whatever moving on the steering column to activate the starter, but its just not starting. i'm getting adequate power to everything. battery meter goes to normal (for starting when not running, at 1o or 12 volts, whatever it is without the alt running it to 14). my stereo comes on, subs work and all, no issues with that at all.

please, if you have any ideas as to what my issue is, please get back to me asap, as this is my daily driver.
Crawl yourself underneath it to the starter. With a screwdriver, and key off, go across the large post on the solenoid to the small post to the right. If it is the solenoid it should crank the starter over. Common issue.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

got it all worked out. my neighbor gave me a hand with it and got it working. now i just need to find the short in my driver's side back-up light, and one of my hazard lights ont the passenger side of the box. bulbs are fantastic, but won't come on
Old June 2nd, 2012, 3:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

So what was it?
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

i'm not exactly sure what my neighbor had done around my steering column. i know he switched a couple fuses and was checking a lot of things with a tester. and then i had put in a new starter through warrenty.