Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Unusual timing chain problem in an 86 suburban /Silverado

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2021, 2:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Unusual timing chain problem in an 86 suburban /Silverado

I'm new here, just joined, so hey there. My first posting is a doozie.
I've got a weird situation, maybe someone can advise me on ?
I was driving my sons old beater suburban w/350 Auto, parked it to get a bite, then backed out , pulled foreward, backed up again, then foreward to avoid drive thru cars line that was too close behind to the parking spots and crossing the parking lot to leve,then the car just cut out + died.
Tried REPEATEDLY to start it, but it wouldn't. Noticed some noises while trying to restart, as it tried to restart, but crapped on me again and later after trying for hours as it sounded like there was starter trouble, saw some gas belch from carb. Thought then, it must have slipped the timing chain. Had it towed, took off timing cover low and behold chain slipped off cam gear, and in my trying to start it repeatedly over hours, the timing chain truncated the teeth off maybe 1/8th on the tips.
Being an old used car with mileage of ? I had talked to the son previously about it needing a timing set as it had for sure way over 65,000 miles.
CHAIN IS NOT BROKEN, BUT RIDING between the teeth fine shaving metal into the timing cover.
Question: What would be the correct way to get the camshaft to both valves closed on number one, then to rotate the crank to TDC and install a new timing set? ( already bought the parts etc.) That is unless I can find a dimple on the cam gear to see where I am.
I can't see any dot on that gear, but think I saw one on the crank gear. Timing set on it is a double roller, so it has been replaced at one time, but gears looked like 2 different configurations. In trying to start it while stuck 40 miles from home, I have no idea how much the chain has slipped on the cam gear. I can take photos maybe tomorrow, as this is the darndest thing I have run onto . I've heard of skipping a tooth or two, and broken chains, but not this.
i had some ideas as to how to approach it, but thought it prudent to ask to see what others might suggest in how to be getting the cam back to both valves closed , then the TDC should be easy but want advice to see if my suspicions are right. Holding my finger over number one plug hole, and turning the crank , 2 rotations, there was no air blowing on the compression stroke. So one or both valves are off sync.
This car needed A LOT OF ADVANCE on the distributor to pass emissions, + likely if put back right can be retarded retiming it, if I get both cam and crank back in sync.
Couldnt find this exact situation on any forum , but in looking at the rotor turn, it was jerky, not smoothe, as THAT IN ITSELF was evidence to me of something timing chain related .
I will check back as I can to see if anyone has any ideas + to answer any questions. Thanks ,.... Jay