Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Using th400 tranny with 403 olds engine?

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2016, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using th400 tranny with 403 olds engine?

Hey guys, had a question about my transmission..I have a 1979 Pontiac Firebird with a 6.6 liter 403 Oldsmobile engine, and, obviously, a turbo 350 Transmission. I've needed my transmission to be rebuilt for some time, especially since the reverse gear was slipping extremely. So we thought we'd buy a stage 2 master rebuild kit, rebuild the tranny, problem fixed right? No. Turns out almost everything in there was destroyed. Like, DESTROYED. So pretty much the whole transmission is shot. So these are my options..I could either buy a new turbo 350 transmission for a hundred bucks, not knowing what kind of condition it's in. OR, I can buy a conversion plate, to bolt up a th400 tranny to by Oldsmobile engine, which originally would have a different bolt pattern on the bell housing. I picked up a th400 tranny for 50 bucks at a junkyard not too long ago, so I already have it but I have no idea if it works My question is, if I were to buy a conversion plate to make the th400 tranny work with my Oldsmobile engine, how will it work? Has anyone tried one of these conversion plates before? And even if you haven't, what's your opinion on what I should do? I still have the brand new master rebuild kit for the 350 tranny. But please let me know what you guys think. If I use the th400 tranny, I'd have to shorten my driveshaft which isn't a huge deal. And the end of the 400 tranny has a different link up to the driveshaft then the shaft I have now, if that makes sense.Any questions,let me know
Old November 8th, 2016, 6:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id go with the 400. they rock and are powerful..they have or can handle alot of tourque. ive got a t4oo on my 79 chevy pick up .. it was rebuilt for 900 bucks and only used it for three years..i used it for plowing business and it has been so wonderful for pushin snow an towing. my othere t400 blew up so bad like your 350 tranny...my mechanic said ..it was not rebuildable.. so these hard core trannys run fantastic then all the sudden blow up if you dont keep the fluids changed and the filters clean.. ..hope you do the four hundred.. they are tough.
Kat L:P+