Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Welding on the block

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2018, 1:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welding on the block

I got a 350 Chevy (i think so) that has paid it's debt to society. It had a hard life and definitely had a few visits to the machine shop. So I decided making a table out of it would be a good use for it instead of the crusher. My biggest problem is I tried to weld one of the pistons to the block and I can't seem to get a good weld on it. I would like to think of myself as a half decent welder. Just didn't penetrate like it should. Any suggestions on how to get a good weld on a project like this? I think I will play around with an old block of cast iron and a broken piston to see if I can figure out what I'm missing. The best combination I got was wire speed at 135 and 19 volts but I could still break that with my hands.
Old February 18th, 2018, 1:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

might need a high nickel content wire for cast iron and a 220v welder. my shop uses a 120v unit and it can;t penetrate anything thick.
Old February 18th, 2018, 9:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
might need a high nickel content wire for cast iron and a 220v welder. my shop uses a 120v unit and it can;t penetrate anything thick.
Cast iron would require nickle.