Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

What is the suggested sequence to change the radiator and flush the engine?

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2016, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the suggested sequence to change the radiator and flush the engine?

Just bought a 97 Chevy 1500 truck - WHoooohoooo

The last owner put in some sort of metallic stop leak additive which has caused water pump and radiator failure.

I took out the water pump and realized that the radiator gunk is still in the engine, the heater core and hoses.

To get all the gunk out of the system - What is the suggested sequence of work?

Option 1 - Should I re-install the old water pump and then flush the engine and radiator?
Option 2 - Should I install the new pump and new radiator and then flush the system. (but I would have introduced gunk into the new system, in unknown quantities)
Option 3 - What other options I may have?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by jaspalmas; December 20th, 2016 at 11:29 AM. Reason: to tag the post (which is not possible in edit mode
Old December 20th, 2016, 7:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

i would go option 1. I would install a flushing tee and run a garden hose into it to flush out the system.
Old December 20th, 2016, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tech2; Thank you. That worked well.

Update:

The truck is "drinking" coolant, with high vapor exhaust coming out - Seems like the problem is a blown head gasket.... about $1500 to fix.

How do I determine if the $1,500 is money well spent - should it be fixed? I like the truck, it has 160,000 mile on it and KBB private seller in fair condition price at $2,300. But it is an old truck and unsure what the next thing will fail.......
Old December 21st, 2016, 8:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

hard to say without seeing the truck and knowing its overall condition, ie. rust free body, how much you have into it and what it can be sold for?