Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

What tools for diy car repair?

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2021, 5:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tools for diy car repair?

Hi,
I got a old 1993 Chevy g30. Planning to do my diy repairs. Got the below tools for now -

Milwaukee M18/M12 12/18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless 3/8 in. Ratchet and 1/2 in. Impact Wrench with Friction Ring Combo Kit

What other tools I need to have for complete auto repair ? Can someone please guide me.
Appreciate if someone can point to full bundle sets which would have everything. Ready to invest for quality products.

thanks again!
Old December 6th, 2021, 6:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Name brand tools is a good idea. Lowes Carries the old reliable Craftsman hand tools, with their boiler plate guarantee. Home Depot is competing with Husky, and they are honoring the same guarantee as Craftsman, in order to compete with Lowes. One caveat I can offer is there are many metric fasteners on good ol', "Mom. Apple Pie, Chevrolet" vehicles, and I mean especially 10, 16, and 18 mm, so you want to be sure to get a
complete set of Metric, as well as SAE Standard wrenches.

A Hayne's or Chilton's service manual, which covers your year's ride is also important. OBDII is probably not available, on your '93, but you might have an original pre OBDII system, which can help out a lot, with troubleshooting.

Probably the best way to go, as far as maintenance, is to get many of the tools you need to do a specific job, as you go.

Last edited by therewolf; December 6th, 2021 at 6:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
1993chevyg30 (December 7th, 2021)
Old December 7th, 2021, 9:21 AM
CF Active Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

GM,in their infinite wisdom, decided to make their vehicles half metric so you will need two sets of tools.
Old December 7th, 2021, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the recommendations and advise.
Really appreciate.

I am having hard time selecting the toolset based on drive size. Does it matter what drive size the toolset needs?
Found this from hoemdepot special sale going on-

https://tinyurl.com/ycyaz4k4

Also can you advise what impact sockets do i need to have for - "Milwaukee M18/M12 12/18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless 3/8 in. Ratchet and 1/2 in. Impact Wrench with Friction Ring Combo Kit"

Thanks!
Old December 7th, 2021, 9:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You have a 1 ton van , so 1/2 inch drive tools would be advisable. Your Milwaukee 3/8 (drive) Ratchet, of course, will need 3/8 inch drive sockets, be absolutely certain to get six point (as opposed to 12 point) sockets. They are far better with power tools, and tend to strip fasteners less than 12 point sockets.
For the 1/2 inch impact wrench, I would advise a quality set of 1/2 inch drive 6 point deep-well impact sockets. This will give you a smaller set of sockets for hard to reach areas, and larger, stronger sockets which will accommodate longer bolts easily.
Which is closer to your home, Home Depot or Lowes ? Because replacement guarantee tools aren't much help, unless you can get them exchanged, for new ones, easily.
Start considering a tool cabinet, for your garage, because over the years, my tool set has grown large enough to require it's own Zip Code. The last thing you want is poorly laid out tools hampering your repair efforts. Get, and stay organized.
Old December 7th, 2021, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

Sure thing. Love all the details you mentioned.
Homedepot is nearest store.
Wasn’t sure about the tool storage organizer. But now after your word.. will definitely get one.

Thanks a ton!!