Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Where do i begin

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2011, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do i begin

Ok i have a 1997 k1500 4x4 p/u and its been nothing but problems since i bought it first the fuel pump went so i replaced it and all of a sudden the truck wouldnt start unless i threw some gas in the throttle body then it would run fine after now the fuel pump went again after only a few months warrantied so i replaced now it fires up and stalls right out wont idle or nothing and right before it died when i press the pedal half way down it would go but push it to the floor it would stall it throws codes for throttle postioning sensor map sensor and 02 sensor and im getting 51 psi at the rail i replaced tps sensor and erased codes tps came back so im worried something else is cause the sensor codes so i havent went fourth replacing anymore just yet i have had catylatic converter be suggested as a problem but its newer on the vehicle so not sure dont hear any rattle coming from it any ideas or suggestion to stop me from dumping more unnecessary money into it would be great
Old November 2nd, 2011, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

Had some what similar issues with my 98 2500. Measure the rail pressure while driving.
If you can keep is running long enough. Mine would drop to below 10 psi while driving 15 miles an hour. I then cut the truck off, disconnected the hose from the pump and attached a 3' piece of hose to the pump and aimed it into a bucket. When I turned the pump on, it did pump but in spurts about 4 secs apart.
Toke that pump back (my second after market in 2 months) and at the time went to Dealer and got a Delphi, been happy ever since. That was 3 years ago. Some auto parts houses now carry the Delphi, at almost half the price.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I know its more parts but something else to consider is the crank or cam shaft position sensors... at least check them for any damage and ensure the connections are solid....
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Did you try checking to see if all the fuses were the correct sizes?.
Maybe some high school dealership car washer kid put them in the wrong spot.
Some times lots of systems are hooked to the same fuse

These are just my opinions.
I'm not actually sure if im correct