Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Wont start

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2018, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont start

Ive got an 89 2 door 4x4 1.6 liter tracker that wont crank or start. I had it running shut it off for a second tried to fire it back up and nothing. There is power to the hazards,headlights but nothing to the heater,blinkers and most important ignition. My first thoughts were starter or solnoid but that kinda didnt make sense due to the no power to blinkers or heater. Ive checked the fuses then thought relay fuse, there fine. Any suggestions for me to trouble shoot would be muchly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Last edited by Dustin Heaps-Mcgee; April 16th, 2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old April 16th, 2018, 5:19 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Solenoid is my guess. Flashers ect. are low voltage things, and they will work if the starter won't crank the engine over. The heater, and blinkers will not take near as much power as the starter.
Old April 16th, 2018, 5:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Could also be the ignition switch
Old April 30th, 2018, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First turn on the headlights and then try to start it, if the headlights go out it would indicate a bad battery connection.
If the headlights dim but stay on it indicates low voltage, or dead battery.
If you get no clicks or sounds at all it would indicate the ignition switch or solenoid as was suggested.
HTH