HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

HHR owners' feedback wanted!

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2018, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HHR owners' feedback wanted!

New to the site, was hoping to get some input of current or past owners of the HHR. I've starting driving for Lyft and am racking up waaay too many miles on my lease, so I need to get something else within the next month or so. I've been a GM guy most of my life, but like the other domestics, some European, but can't bring myself to drive a Japanese car. I'm certainly open to other cars other than the HHR.

I really hate how the earlier HHRs had the window switches down center in front of the shifter. I would have to opt for a later model (I believe mid 2008 and up?). I am thinking I'd be better off with a manual transmission, as I'll constantly be hauling people, but if the automatic is reliable I'd consider it as well. I can do pretty much any work and maintenance that comes up on a basic car like this, but for the sake of time and patience, I probably would just take the car to a shop for mostly everything that doesn't take less than 15 minutes to do or requires me to jack up the car. I really just want to avoid transmission issues for this reason.

I've been in one before, but it was a number of years ago. The owner complained of the blind spot that was due to the pillars at the windshield, if I remember right. Is this a real thing, and how bad is it?
What kind of maintenance issues arise, and are they predominantly year-specific?
Which engine would you recommend, the 2.2 or 2.4? Is the auto transmission at all questionable as far as reliability goes? Is the manual transmission worth trying to find? I'd be driving about 65% city, 35% highway, as far as TIME goes, not necessarily mileage.
Are the back seats comfortable for adults?
Is $3-4000 a reasonable budget for one with options that induce driver and rider comfort? One exception is that I would want to have cloth seats, especially if it is a manual and I cannot remote start it in the winter.
On the same note, what options are a MUST HAVE for you, and why?
What are your overall impressions of the car, what would you recommend to stay away from or try to find, what can you tell me that might help guide me to the best spec HHR?

I was also thinking an Impala of around the same age would work well, but I like the idea of the hatchback for luggage, and space for passengers inside the HHR. I know some of these things I will be able to find out for myself with a test drive and look around, but would like to get other opinions as well, and understand how your experience has been before I commit to many many miles on the road with a car that doesn't meet basic needs.

Thanks for your advice in advance !
Old January 18th, 2018, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did I post in the wrong section..? Please move if so, please.
Old January 18th, 2018, 8:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Its built on the cobalt platform...which has a pretty reliable powertrain. turbo versions are super-powerful. the suspension is low end; clunky imo. part costs are inexpensive. fuel mileage is very good.