HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

Antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2015, 2:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze

Does everyone use Dex Cool? If not, what do you use? How do you feel about companies that claim that their antifreeze can be used on any make, model or color of antifreeze?
Old December 10th, 2015, 1:46 PM
CF Veteran

Honestly I don't see a reason not to use dexcool. My personal opinion is use what it came with/what the manual says. Dexcool is pretty readily available anymore so theres really no reason to use anything else.

If its a severe budget problem or some kind of emergency I have used "universal" coolants for top offs but I also usually recommend flushing it out and putting the recommended stuff back in when its possible.
Old December 10th, 2015, 7:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
Honestly I don't see a reason not to use dexcool. My personal opinion is use what it came with/what the manual says. Dexcool is pretty readily available anymore so theres really no reason to use anything else.

If its a severe budget problem or some kind of emergency I have used "universal" coolants for top offs but I also usually recommend flushing it out and putting the recommended stuff back in when its possible.
Thanks for the response, I'm still not quite sure about the universal coolant or Dex Cool either for that matter.
Old December 10th, 2015, 7:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

use dexcool. its designed for the system.

I have seen organic acid coolants react when different types are mixed. Chrysler has warning regarding there oat coolant and new hoat coolant. if mixed, they will gel.

This is the extreme worst case scenario.

get the right stuff and don't mix it will anything else. How often do you change the stuff....once every 5 years.
Old December 10th, 2015, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Old December 11th, 2015, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
use dexcool. its designed for the system.

I have seen organic acid coolants react when different types are mixed. Chrysler has warning regarding there oat coolant and new hoat coolant. if mixed, they will gel.

This is the extreme worst case scenario.

get the right stuff and don't mix it will anything else. How often do you change the stuff....once every 5 years.
Unfortunately don't I change it as often as I should.