Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Impala (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/)
-   -   06 Impala - Service Traction control / ABS. (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/06-impala-service-traction-control-abs-20278/)

Doug G February 12th, 2014 8:08 PM

Taking it to the dealer

I'm not sure about anyone else, but it seems like this is a common problem that's going to cost me 2-3 car payments. Nothing like spending 5% of the car's worth getting something fixed that was defective from the get go.

I'll remember this when I don't buy another Chevy. :mad:

sledge.impy February 12th, 2014 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Doug G (Post 268041)
I'm not sure about anyone else, but it seems like this is a common problem that's going to cost me 2-3 car payments. Nothing like spending 5% of the car's worth getting something fixed that was defective from the get go.

I'll remember this when I don't buy another Chevy. :mad:

Sounds like you have a cheap car payment then.

Parts wear out and need replaced.

CoryCory March 20th, 2014 5:08 PM

i own a 2006 impala ss and has the same problem traction control and abs light has anyone got a quote on it yet??

Frank3 March 20th, 2014 8:25 PM

My 2001 Impala had the same problem. The service traction lite would come and go without reason. I finally caught a break and had it scanned at Autozone with their scanner. When I looked it up it was related to EITHER the ABS pump or the ABS module. These items were not avail as an assembly but could only be ordered separately. The problem was the pump was something like $ 800 and the module was something like $ 900, together $ 1700. I took it to a dealer I really trusted and asked them to look at it. Their best mechanic looked at it and called Detroit. He said for the age of the car, they suggested to separate the pump from the module, clean the contacts, put some dielectric grease on the contacts, reassemble then test it. Rather than get a bill that started at $ 1700 for parts alone, I walked out with a bill for $ 120. Now that's a dealer I can trust and who's looking out for me.

Shondre M. Johnson March 1st, 2016 3:59 PM

2006 chevy impala owner

I am a 06 chevy impala owner with the same problem. I am sitting at a dealer as we speak. I have had this problem been to multiple mechanics and made multiple unnecessary repairs. I have replaced 2 wheel hubs, front brakes and rotors, tires, inner and outter rods, tires and yet it still grinding with service warnings. It seems to be the traction control. Hubs took care of the abs service brake assist tho. I will keep you posted. I'm not leaving here today without a solution $2000 later.
Good luck
[/B]

Originally Posted by jt123456 (Post 84448)
Hello,

New to the fourm, need some help.

I have 06 Impala that all of a sudden is giving us a warning "Service traction control" and the ABS light comes on with it. Now I took the car to a shop 2 different times so that they can look at the error codes, but nothing shows up. The first time, I can understand, we had very cold weather here and I saw the car calibrating the GP sensor, so I shrugged it off. The next time though, the temp was not near as cold the GP sensor was not calibrating but still no errors showing up.

My wife drives the car the most, so she only tells me the errors that come across the dash, until today! I was driving down the road when all of a sudden a warning comes up service Brake Assist.. Then the Service Traction control comes / ABS..

Does anyone happen to have a clue to what I shoulr do?

I was talking to a local GM dealer, he saisd that it is most likely the wheel bearing, then goes on to tell me if it isn't that, then it is most likely the wiring harness, all for a great price of $520.00.. I/m sorry, but if I am going to fix a car for $520.00 I want to know that it will be fixed - not most likely fixed..

Another thing, when the car is warming up, the door locks will lock automatically.. the car is not in gear or anything..

Any input would be appreciated. :o

TX.

kdj12345 March 21st, 2016 9:52 AM

Service Traction Control / Service Brake Assist lights

I've also had this problem several times. The first time I experienced the car shaking back and forth, and worried something severe was going wrong...got off the road (on the way to work) at my normal garage. They said the codes were associated with the fact that my tire pressure monitoring system wasn't working (one bad sensor had caused them to go out and I didn't care, so I just dealt with it). So they replaced and reprogrammed and codes didn't come back.

So of course it has now happened again this weekend, except with no shaking back and forth. Last time it was only traction control, this time it was also the service brake assist. I had hoped to get rid of this car, which is turning into kind of a money pit at 142,000 miles, little things keep going wrong.

Any thoughts are appreciated, but since it went away, I'm not inclined to do anything about it right this second, I guess...I think selling the car is probably my next step, since the lights have gone off and it doesn't seem to have caused driveability problems.

UPDATE - I took it to Midas where I normally go, and it was the driver's rear wheel bearing that was causing the problem (I also had a driver's side outer tie rod problem as well that required replacing, but unrelated to the problems). So if you're scoring these issues, mine was the wheel speed sensor which I guess are all part of the bearing package. Replaced 4,000 miles ago, no problems since. Cost $300.

Chevrolet Customer Service March 24th, 2016 9:11 AM

Originally Posted by kdj12345 (Post 318665)
I've also had this problem several times. The first time I experienced the car shaking back and forth, and worried something severe was going wrong...got off the road (on the way to work) at my normal garage. They said the codes were associated with the fact that my tire pressure monitoring system wasn't working (one bad sensor had caused them to go out and I didn't care, so I just dealt with it). So they replaced and reprogrammed and codes didn't come back.

So of course it has now happened again this weekend, except with no shaking back and forth. Last time it was only traction control, this time it was also the service brake assist. I had hoped to get rid of this car, which is turning into kind of a money pit at 142,000 miles, little things keep going wrong.

Any thoughts are appreciated, but since it went away, I'm not inclined to do anything about it right this second, I guess...I think selling the car is probably my next step, since the lights have gone off and it doesn't seem to have caused driveability problems.

We apologize for the multiple vehicle concerns that you've encountered, kdj12345. We certainly understand your desire to reach a resolution for this issue and are appreciative of your feedback. If you're faced with a concern in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We're available via private message and would be more than happy to contact the dealership on your behalf.

Thank you,

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

showproja August 18th, 2016 7:15 AM

Add me to the list of 2006 Impala owners who has the "Service Traction Control" and "Service Brake Assist" warnings coming up. Mine happens any time I spin the tires at all or even accelerate hard without spinning the tires. The drive train then becomes "grabby" with very hard shifts until I turn the ignition off for a few seconds. Start it back up and all is well. That being said, the car is approaching 175k. When the lights aren't on, it still drives fine. I bought my wife this 2006 program car in 2007 with 16k miles, and THANK GOD, a bumper to bumper 100k mile certified used car warranty. I know many of you are in love with your trouble-free Impalas, but you wouldn't be if you'd been through what I have! We returned it to Montgomery Chevrolet a total of 19 times, 12 of which we had to drive loaner cars home! We are absolutely not nit-pickers. These were major problems like all of the oil leaking out through the head gaskets. They had to be removed a total of three times. They still leak, just not as badly. Other problems like all of the coolant leaking out through the water-pump gasket. Then again a couple months later through some other point in the cooling system. Then the starter went out from having a bunch of oil leak on it. Then in cold weather, the power steering line blew off, losing all fluid, stranding my wife. Twice. Then there were the lesser things like a badly clunking suspension and steering in a <20k mile car, terrible hesitation, wheel hubs failing at 30k, and all four of the "woodpeckers" behind the dash from the cheap Chinese parts in the ventilation system that should be factory recalled. Oh yeah, I had to replace the brake master cylinder too a couple years ago. It still gets me back and forth to work, but it burns and leaks at least a quart of oil per month. Now my wife drives a Honda Accord and all we've ever had it in for is oil and tire changes.

kdj12345 August 18th, 2016 9:35 AM

Some cars are just lemons regardless of model

Originally Posted by showproja (Post 326102)
Add me to the list of 2006 Impala owners who has the "Service Traction Control" and "Service Brake Assist" warnings coming up. Mine happens any time I spin the tires at all or even accelerate hard without spinning the tires. The drive train then becomes "grabby" with very hard shifts until I turn the ignition off for a few seconds. Start it back up and all is well. That being said, the car is approaching 175k. When the lights aren't on, it still drives fine. I bought my wife this 2006 program car in 2007 with 16k miles, and THANK GOD, a bumper to bumper 100k mile certified used car warranty. I know many of you are in love with your trouble-free Impalas, but you wouldn't be if you'd been through what I have! We returned it to Montgomery Chevrolet a total of 19 times, 12 of which we had to drive loaner cars home! We are absolutely not nit-pickers. These were major problems like all of the oil leaking out through the head gaskets. They had to be removed a total of three times. They still leak, just not as badly. Other problems like all of the coolant leaking out through the water-pump gasket. Then again a couple months later through some other point in the cooling system. Then the starter went out from having a bunch of oil leak on it. Then in cold weather, the power steering line blew off, losing all fluid, stranding my wife. Twice. Then there were the lesser things like a badly clunking suspension and steering in a <20k mile car, terrible hesitation, wheel hubs failing at 30k, and all four of the "woodpeckers" behind the dash from the cheap Chinese parts in the ventilation system that should be factory recalled. Oh yeah, I had to replace the brake master cylinder too a couple years ago. It still gets me back and forth to work, but it burns and leaks at least a quart of oil per month. Now my wife drives a Honda Accord and all we've ever had it in for is oil and tire changes.

Sounds like you got a bad one...I've known people who have had similar problems with Camrys, Accords and tons of other cars. I can't believe you stayed with it for 160,000 miles with all those problems...I would have repaired it a couple of times and sold it. I just am selling my 2007 Impala today, because at 148,000 it is just getting to the point where things go wrong, and it needs new brakes fairly soon, etc. At 148,000 miles I probably need to add a quart of oil between oil changes (usually about 5 months depending on what the computer tells me) every third or fourth time. I bought the car with 77,000 and selling it at 148,000 4 1/2 years later. No significant problems. Better luck to you in the future!

Buck Gino June 27th, 2018 3:33 PM

Originally Posted by milwaukee_01impala (Post 84450)
the person you talked to at the dealer is correct in his diagnostics. its most likely a bad wheel hub. and the reason the shops you took it to couldnt find any codes is that the abs/traction codes are body codes that only a person with a techII can read. most shops dont have techII scanners, usually only the dealer shops have one.
what you can do is take it to a dealer, have them hook up their techII and it will tell them which hub is bad. although the dealer will most likely charge you a diagnostic fee to do that.

I have a 2006 Chevy impala with the traction control light on but no abs light on can u help me ???