Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

'14 DIY Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2014, 9:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets say you have an oil related problem: engine failure, oil consumption, engine knock, camshaft actuator failure. Any manufacturer can ask for service records. if you do your own oil changes, how will you prove they were done at the correct interval and using the correct oil.
Your right, its not in the manual. You better believe it something that will be checked by a dealership before they do a warranty repair.

You saying you changed it with part receipts but no documentation showing a vin, date, mileage etc. won't cut it. Homemade repair order's
don't work either.
Tech2, you are dead wrong. People have been changing their own oil since the automobile was invented. Just about all state laws prohibit dealers & manufacturers from voiding a warranty because the owner did his own maintenance. I worked at Cadillac Customer Service for 5 years and never saw anybody get denied powertrain warranty because they did their own maintenance. So long as you keep your maintenance records in reasonable order and there is no sign of neglect or abuse, you will not have a problem. If needed oil analysis is pretty easy to have done.

Please refrain from giving erroneous and incorrect advice to people.

Dealers even have to supply gm with photos of the ecm and tcm calibrations to warranty a engine or transmission. If they aren't correct... no warranty. That's not in the owner's manual either.
What page is this on your dealers GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual ?

You may want to study the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. Of 1975

Last edited by blue-impala; June 7th, 2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old June 8th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

I've seen this happen to jobs in the shops when I worked at Nissan and gm. It happened to a co-worker who bought a Subaru.

Any sign of abuse or incomplete maintenance will void your warranty, period. At Nissan, there was sign off pages in the owners manual for each oil change to be completed by the dealership.

here is some make believe stuff I made up:

Corporate Bulletin #14-06-04-003: Identifying Non-GM ECM Calibration Use and Power-up Hardware Detection in Duramax Diesel Engines Using GDS 2
Corporate Bulletin #08-06-04-006 for Duramax® Diesel Engines

Corporate Bulletin #09-06-04-026 for Gasoline Engines / Transmissions

Last edited by tech2; June 8th, 2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old June 8th, 2014, 11:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Changing ones own oil does not constitute abuse.

Corporate Bulletin #09-06-04-026 for Gasoline Engines / Transmissions

This bulliten refers to Identifying Non-GM (Aftermarket) Engine and Transmission Calibrations for V8 Gas Engines. General Motors is identifying an increasing number of engine, transmission and catalytic converter part failures that are the result of non-GM (aftermarket) engine and transmission control calibrations being used.

Warranty coverage is based on the equipment and calibrations that were released on the vehicle at time of sale, or subsequently updated by GM. That's because GM testing and validation matches the calibration to a host of criteria that is essential to assure reliability, durability and emissions performance over the life of the warranty coverage and beyond. Stresses resulting from calibrations different from those tested and released by GM can damage or weaken components, leading to poor performance and or shortened life.

Additionally, non-GM (aftermarket) issued engine control modifications often do not meet the same emissions performance standards as GM issued calibrations. Depending on state statutes,individuals who install engine control module calibrations that put the vehicle outside the parameters of emissions certification standards may be subject to fines and/or penalties.
This bulletin outlines a procedure to identify the presence of non-GM (aftermarket) calibrations. GM recommends performing this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on internal engine or transmission components, or before an engine assembly or transmission assembly is being replaced under warranty. It is also recommended that the engine calibration verification.
What does this have to do with oil change maintenance ? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!

Tech2, you obviously did not read these bulletins at all and have no comprehension of them, they have no relevance to the subject what so ever. These bulletins are targeted at customers who are altering the computer software and changing engine calibrations (tuning).

I challenge you to show any GM Documentation positively stating that owners changing their own oil voids the Warranty.
Old June 8th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

it has to do with the documentation required to warranty and engine and transmissions. No where in the owner manual does it say you can't change your programming but it will void warranty as those tsb prove.

To keep warranty you must do the required services. If a failure occurs and it can be attributed to lack of maintenance, it won't be covered. if all you have is a receipt for oil filters and oil that do not show what car it was done on, mileage intervals...good luck with that. I've been there when it happens. You may not know that in your cubicle answering phone calls for customer service.

Last edited by tech2; June 8th, 2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old June 8th, 2014, 12:43 PM
CF Junior Member

You obviously can't read a service bulletin much less comprehend it. It has no relevance to maintenance or people who change their own oil. It only pertains to people who have hacked their vehicles computer and changed engine calibrations.

Your credibility is stretched beyond belief. Quit trying to scare everyone into your own paranoid beliefs. You have no documentation that changing your own oil will void a warranty, none at all. The service bulletins you posted are absolutely irrelevant to the topic and should never be used to invalidate a warranty for any reason other than what they state "A Change To Engine & Transmission Software Calibration"

You are grasping at straws to make an argument for something that does not exist. So far the only risk I see so far is bringing a vehicle to your dealer for service, where you obviously can not interpret a service bulletin and try to scare people with your own invented policies. I would not let you change the oil on a lawn mower much less a automobile.

Maybe you should take some classes in Warranty Administration, and Law Pertaining to Warranty before you start informing the world of your newly invented policies. I may have spent some time in a cubicle (mostly dealing with customers that could not get good service at their dealers, but I was a Mechanic before that and spent 20 years as a Quality Engineer at three GM Assembly plants and I can definitely say that what your telling people is nothing more than garbage.

So long as people keep their receipts and keep reasonable maintenance records, they should not have to worry about invalidating their warranty.

Last edited by blue-impala; June 8th, 2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old June 8th, 2014, 6:18 PM
Super Moderator

All make sense now; why you "were a mechanic". Your previous explanation, on other threads, of transmission function was hilarious. I see they moved you to a position where you could do less damage.

Quality control engineers are not engineers. my garbage collector is a sanitation engineer. What brilliant ideas did you implement walking up and down an assembly line. Joke.
No one completes and engineering degree to work as a customer service call center. You found your rightful spot and that is not fixing cars.

Back to topic:

If a spark plug, coil, alternator or any other non-oil related parts fails, gm will cover it. If a fault that can be attributed to lack of oil changes occurs, the service writer will check the service history of the car. If there is none on record, they will ask for you to provide yours....any you will provide records that have no link to the car....smart! Keep recommending that to people.

Last edited by tech2; June 8th, 2014 at 6:21 PM.
Old June 8th, 2014, 8:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Tech2, you love to keep showing how stupid and ignorant you are. I started at the call center over 20 years ago, and moved into manufacturing from there. I will put my 4 year engineering degree up against your 90 day correspondence course in auto service any day. I did not say Quality Control Engineer, I said Quality Engineer, (As usual you can not read properly but give this a try. Certified Quality Engineer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You like to call your self a Technician, Mechanic or what ever, what you appear to be is a wet behind the ears little grease monkey with a big mouth.

You still have not come with any documentation proving your bold statements. Put Up or Shut Up. What you are telling people is far from true and shows your true lack of education in the auto industry.
Old June 8th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not trying to scare anyone. I prefer to see them keep their warranty rather than being held to the discretion of the attending dealer.

You have been so far removed from the automotive industry for so long it has left you behind. You have never rebuilt a transmission or set up a differential. If you had to, it would take you a week. your just a textbook reader.
Old June 8th, 2014, 11:17 PM
CF Junior Member

You have been so far removed from the automotive industry for so long it has left you behind. You have never rebuilt a transmission or set up a differential. If you had to, it would take you a week. your just a textbook reader.
And what does this have to do with the topic at hand ?. I was rebuilding transmissions and differentials when you were still wearing diapers and sucking your thumb, I just chose not spend the rest of my life doing it.

You made a bold statement that by changing your own oil you would risk voiding the Powertrain Warranty. You have not been able to provide one shred of documentation that backs up this claim. You posted some service bulletins that were absolutely irrelevant to the discussion showing that you can not properly comprehend the meaning of the service bulletin. Where is any documentation from the GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual ? Any time some one challenges you to back up your bold statements with fact you resort to proving superior mechanical abilities which are also irrelevant to the topic. You have no background in Warranty Administration, no knowledge of the law as it pertains to Automotive Warranty, you have absolutely no idea what protections are guaranteed under the Federal Magnuson & Moss Warranty Act, yet you want people to believe that you are some kind of expert on warranty policies. To me you are nothing but a snot nosed kid trying to prove you are right at any cost even if it means misleading people into believing they will void their warranty. You have no absolutely no credibility.

Last edited by blue-impala; June 8th, 2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old June 9th, 2014, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

you really have an axe to grind.

again, as I stated the tsb I posted relate to required warranty requirements not listed in the owners manual just as oil change documentation is not in the owners manual. twist it however you need it to be to satisfy your point.

Next your going to say the 3 instances I have been involved with didn't happen. This came right from the dsm.

Your warranty act have no jurisdiction governing how warranty is applied in my country.

Last edited by tech2; June 9th, 2014 at 12:51 AM.

Quick Reply: '14 DIY Oil Change