Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

1960 Chevy Impala

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2007, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1960 Chevy Impala

Need info ............. I am looking at a 1960 Chevy Impala that was driven for three years (in Michigan) then stored inside for the balance of it's life. It was driven approx. fifty miles per year ( 5-10 most months)after the initial three years. It is a beautiful car and almost everything is original. It is a two door hardtop, stick shift on the column, 348 ci, black with a red and white interior. It runs and drivesgreat.
Concern:
I havn't seen it lately but, I am told that the belly pan under the passenger side is rusted. I am worried that I may have to replace both belly pans and I am also concerned about what else might be rusted down there.
Guestion:
How big of a problem will belly pan replacement be? Does anyone have a feel for "frame life" on a car like this? Should I expect this to be a problem, as well? Thanks
Old November 5th, 2007, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 1960 Chevy Impala

How big a problem it is depends on your skill level (are you determined to fix it and can you weld sheet metal)and/or the depth of your pockets. I've got a 66 Impala SS conv that spent most of its life in Texas and the bottom is near perfect same for the frame, while others I've seen had no bottom left at all. You need to have some one knowledgeable look at it. Check some of the restoration parts companies (there are many)like Classic Ind and Year Onefor parts. For more information on the car try Chevy Talk forum for 58-60 Chevys
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...8-1960_Chevys/
I hope that helps.
66ImpSS396
Old November 8th, 2007, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 1960 Chevy Impala

Hey .... thanks for the reply 66ImpSS396. I do plan to have the car inspected before making my final decision on the car. However, I am buying the vehicle at a very good price (from a relative) and if there are no major "bottom-side" probems, I should be able to make out very well.I was just trying to see if anyone had had a similarissue with their car and to see roughly what the financial burden might be (having the belly pan work done) to correct the rusted area(s). I expect other issues to surface but, I am looking forward to bringing the vehicle back to "top notch" condition.

Anyone: Am I assuming correctly that a very clean good driving"unmolested/unmodified" 1960 like the one I am looking at should be worth much more than most "modified" 1960s other than possibly the total "frame-off restored" vehicles? Its hard to tell from the various adds I have looked at. Any recommendations for having the value of the car estimated before I buy it? Thanks again for your reply.
Old March 26th, 2015, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Looking for recommendations for an affordable copper/brass radiator for 60 Impala. I have seen spectra and APDI and was hoping to get some feedback if anyone has used them.

Thanks!