Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

1964 Chevy Impala SS TRUNK HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2008, 12:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1964 Chevy Impala SS TRUNK HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

'64 Chevy Impala SS Trunk Key lost.

I'm an idiot, I should have made a duplicate. But I didnt. To further the situation, I'm always buying new stuff and my car is completly restored. SO I thought I would "DRILL" the lock out; well I drilled the whole through the dam thing but the trunk is still locked (im sure this was stupid too).

Any ideas on how I can remove this lock; I bought a new trunk lock for $20 bux; but the fact of the matter is my fully restored car is sitting in my garage with the trunk shut with the prior "drilled" trunk lock still in tact.

Can I drill a certain area; any recommendations?

Thanks a mill
Old September 27th, 2008, 2:21 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 1964 Chevy Impala SS TRUNK HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

I'm not sure if this is possible on a '64 but can youremove the back seat and get into the trunk that way?? If you can you should be able torelease the lock with a screwdriver and open it.
Old September 27th, 2008, 5:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What diameter hole did you drill? Once you get to about 3/8 -1/2" or so right down thru the center of the keyhole you should be able to turn the whole thing with a screwdriver and open it. At that point you should be able to easily replace the lock cylinder. Message back if this works or not. A 1/8" drill bit is only a pilot hole for this job. Keep going with progressively thicker bits.
Old September 27th, 2008, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

Rivereye - I did just that; I continued to move forward with slightly bigger drill bits.

http://www.americandebtsolutionsllc.com/toys/toys.htm

The pictures are a bit older, but the car is in even better condition. The best way I can explain this, is the "dash Fashia"; the bezels that go around the ignition, radio, lights, whiper switches - this bezel wont come off now. Today, I finally punched through using the larger bits... So I'm able to see all the way through. But to the left right up and down, obviously, shows a chrome cone that the bit in its self made... Should I start drilling left right up or down?

......Regarding going in the backseat; I thought of that. I removed the bench, and the upper backside to the back seat. But there inlies a problem; I got a huge air tank for my air bags. If I cant resolve this through paragraph one; I guess my only option would be to remove the tank and have my skinny *** brother go in through there????

............I've already purchased a new trunk lock through classic industries. So yea.

Anymore ideas would be appreciated; as the trunk is still locked.
Old September 28th, 2008, 3:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

So now take a slotted screwdriver, and push it into the hole and use it as a "Key" with the tumblers drilled out, you should have no trouble turning the lock cylinder. Be firm, you shouldn't have to push hard enough to bend anything important. Message back.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

I just purchased a 64 and it had no key tumbler in the trunk. I got the rear seats taken out and shined a flashlight back there, a long way back there, and I saw the slot. I took a flat screwdriver and put it in, where you would put the key in, behind the trunk and turned it and it opened right up! If you listen as you turn it you will here it 'click' when it opens.