Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2007 Impala wearing tires.

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2012, 5:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Impala wearing tires.

I bought a 2007 Impala new. It has 52,000 miles on it. It is fixing to have its third set of tires put on it. The rear end eats the tires on the inside. Has any one else has this problem and what is the fix. I bought it to an alignment shop and that hasn't helped. I don't know if you can align rear end...
Old October 7th, 2012, 7:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

You can do a 4 wheel alignment.
Old October 7th, 2012, 8:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the rear toe setting is out of spec.

the rear springs sag and changes the toe alignment. the rear toe is easily adjusted on these cars.

once the toe wear pattern is worn into the tires; an alignment will only stop further wear. the existing wear and noise its causes will always be present until new tires are put on.

when you get alignments done:
-it should always be a 4 wheel alignment for all vehicles
-tell them you want a printout of the before and after settings

post your alignment numbers if you have them.
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:20 AM
CF Junior Member

I had a four wheel alignment done on it before putting second set of tires on it. It ate the original set and the second set the same way. I will be looking for some one else to align it....
Old October 8th, 2012, 4:22 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure that the before alignment numbers will show the rear toe is out of spec.

tell the next shop the story and make sure they put an expierenced, licensed tech on it.

If the tire have a saw tooth feather edge pattern its toe wear. An expierenced tech with be able to identify this. A begginer with think its camber wear. The camber numbers for this car can even be out of spec a large amount and still not cause camber wear. Toe is the biggest tire wear angle.

post a pic of the wear pattern and I'll confirm it. otherwise they may want you to replace the rear springs if the camber is out of spec negative.

Last edited by tech2; October 8th, 2012 at 4:29 PM.
Old October 8th, 2012, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

this may seem simple but did u make sure they were Truly balanced
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:40 PM
CF Junior Member

The last set of tires that was taken off were wore on the inside even had cupping on the inside. They were making a roaring bumping noise. Kept them balanced but something is eating tires up real bad on inside. I am using bfgoodrich on it this time but at 26,000 miles sides are ate up pretty bad.
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by laman
I bought a 2007 Impala new. It has 52,000 miles on it. It is fixing to have its third set of tires put on it. The rear end eats the tires on the inside. Has any one else has this problem and what is the fix. I bought it to an alignment shop and that hasn't helped. I don't know if you can align rear end...
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> laman,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Impala vehicle. Would you please PM me the last 8-digits of your VIN, so I may look into this issue further for you?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 14th, 2012, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Hello Everyone,

This is a known problem on these cars that GM has decided to do nothing about. The police version (9C1/9C3) has been recalled and fixed. But, the civilian version has not. When I purchased my second set of tires, and had a 4-wheel alignment done, the shop discovered that the rear was out. The only way to fix it was to purchase shim bolts and have them installed. These actually make the rear adjustable and hold it in place when tightened down. My tires last much longer and I rotate every 10,000 miles. Any good alignment shop should have a supply source where they can get these bolts for you and it should only be a modest charge to install them for you. It is a permanent solution. I think the whole thing was about 150.00 with parts and labor. But, now it is in alignment and its done forever. Hope this info helps! FYI: my Impala has 115,000 miles on it.

Last edited by DavidS1206; October 14th, 2012 at 5:17 PM.
Old October 14th, 2012, 9:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DavidS1206
Hello Everyone,

This is a known problem on these cars that GM has decided to do nothing about. The police version (9C1/9C3) has been recalled and fixed. But, the civilian version has not. When I purchased my second set of tires, and had a 4-wheel alignment done, the shop discovered that the rear was out. The only way to fix it was to purchase shim bolts and have them installed. These actually make the rear adjustable and hold it in place when tightened down. My tires last much longer and I rotate every 10,000 miles. Any good alignment shop should have a supply source where they can get these bolts for you and it should only be a modest charge to install them for you. It is a permanent solution. I think the whole thing was about 150.00 with parts and labor. But, now it is in alignment and its done forever. Hope this info helps! FYI: my Impala has 115,000 miles on it.
An eccentric bolt kit will only adjust camber and may not be required. Toe is the bigger concern and biggest tire wear alignment angle. Alot of negative camber can be put into these car without tire wear concerns. The OP noted noisy tires; camber worn tires aren't noisy, toe worn tires growl like a bad wheel bearing. Almost all mac strut rear coil springs squat over time; ask anyone who owned a 1990- 2006 ford taurus.

Last edited by tech2; October 14th, 2012 at 9:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Impala wearing tires.