Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2007 Impala wearing tires.

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2012, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These guys are right, toe worn rear tires. The shop you took it to either doesn't know how to do rear alignments or does know and is too lazy. Either way, find a better alignment guy. This is a common issue with these cars from what I hear, but not at all a difficult fix for someone who knows what they're doing.
Old October 15th, 2012, 4:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
An eccentric bolt kit will only adjust camber and may not be required. Toe is the bigger concern and biggest tire wear alignment angle. Alot of negative camber can be put into these car without tire wear concerns. The OP noted noisy tires; camber worn tires aren't noisy, toe worn tires growl like a bad wheel bearing. Almost all mac strut rear coil springs squat over time; ask anyone who owned a 1990- 2006 ford taurus.
My rear tires wear terrible and also growl like a bad wheel bearing. I actually tore it down expecting a bad wheel bearing. I am trying to find a place to align it and straighten it out but don't know where to bring it...
Old October 15th, 2012, 6:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

where ever you end up going; tell the service writer about the first alignment fail. Book it in when there best alignment tech can address it...no one else. Make sure you request the alignment print out to verify the final adjustments. Post the print out here. I'd like to see it.
Old October 15th, 2012, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

That's good if you like it.
Old October 16th, 2012, 8:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hockemap
That's good if you like it.
Another quality post.
Old October 19th, 2012, 9:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Ok I found a alignment shop with computer read out. Toe was off on both back tires. Cam bolts had to be installed also to get it aligned. Cam bolts was also added on front end to get it right. I have had problem with this since new. Complained to chevy about noise in rear of car and it eating tires on inside. Sad you have to buy extra parts to align car. All noise in rear end is gone since they aligned it. Car is going on six years. What a difference to drive it and not have all that rumbling noise in rear.
Old October 20th, 2012, 1:00 PM
Super Moderator

post your alignment numbers.

You don't need eccentric bolts to adjust toe on this car. The rear toe is adjusted by turning the rear link adjustment sleeve. I do alignments on these cars every day. No addditional parts are needed for toe adjustment for this car EVER.

even with correct toe settings, the toe worn tires will still be noisy until replaced with new tires.

Factory alignment warranty on a new car is only for the first 12 000km.

Last edited by tech2; October 20th, 2012 at 1:06 PM.
Old November 6th, 2012, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Tech 2... I see that you did an edit 10/12 My concern is the alignment/tire wear on my 2008 Impala. I did a test drive from Joplin Mo - Springfield Mo, round trip approx 125 miles. I was aware of the 'call-back', but only for police vehicles. When I arrived in Springfield the first alignment check was to place my hand on the tire surface and pull over the tire. That sharp saw tooth feather edge was not there. I purchased the Impala from a one owner with high mileage. Tires have been rotated with no signs of wear. This rear design is new to this wrench, but if does not show and or appear to have signs of wear with highmileage, I will assume that my alignment is with-in specs. I will return to CF ....I have some more bonding to complete with my 'new' Impala. I want to know more about the flexfuel 3.5 and the tranny with the DextronVI fluid. Found a new asset in the cargo back seat space. The bench seat pulls out and the back folds down for more cargo space.
Old November 6th, 2012, 7:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Shade
Tech 2... I see that you did an edit 10/12 My concern is the alignment/tire wear on my 2008 Impala. I did a test drive from Joplin Mo - Springfield Mo, round trip approx 125 miles. I was aware of the 'call-back', but only for police vehicles. When I arrived in Springfield the first alignment check was to place my hand on the tire surface and pull over the tire. That sharp saw tooth feather edge was not there. I purchased the Impala from a one owner with high mileage. Tires have been rotated with no signs of wear. This rear design is new to this wrench, but if does not show and or appear to have signs of wear with highmileage, I will assume that my alignment is with-in specs. I will return to CF ....I have some more bonding to complete with my 'new' Impala. I want to know more about the flexfuel 3.5 and the tranny with the DextronVI fluid. Found a new asset in the cargo back seat space. The bench seat pulls out and the back folds down for more cargo space.
your alignment is probably good then.

Did not know the rear bench seat pulled up. Will have to watch for that.

flex fuels cars get no use as intended where I live. in canada as we only have 10%max ethanol blends in our filling stations. Is it a California thing? google what happens to non-flex fuel cars when 15% or higher ethanol fuels are put in the tank.

Last edited by tech2; November 6th, 2012 at 7:49 PM.
Old November 9th, 2012, 12:16 AM
CF Beginner

The cargo space is from the trunk to the back seat area, when the back seats lay down.
Flex fuel will not be an option. I will however add Marvel Mystery Oil {4-6 oz} to gasoline. MMO offers many assets. Upper cylinder lube is critical. Reduced Carbon build-up in combustion chamber.

Quick Reply: 2007 Impala wearing tires.