Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2009 EBCM issues - ABS/Traction Control/BRAKE light illuminated

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2016, 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 EBCM issues - ABS/Traction Control/BRAKE light illuminated

Hey guys!
I drive a 2009 Chevrolet Impala 2LT with a 3.9L engine with 79k miles.
I've been having issues with my ABS/Traction Control. I first noticed it when I would take off from a dead stop and the ABS/Traction Control would kick in and the brakes would pulse and slow my takeoff.
The Traction Control light would also blink during this short process.
After this started, I replaced both front driver and passenger side hub assemblies. The problem still persisted. I did notice that if I turn off the traction control, the TC would not engage during takeoff.
After the hubs were replaced, I started seeing intermittent ABS and TC warning lights along with the warnings "Service Traction Control, Service Stabilitrak, Service Brake Assist".
I replaced the hubs again, thinking it was a bad set of speeds sensors and the problem still persisted.
The problem got worse. The intermittent warning lights and messages were showing up more often (any turn of the wheel, going over speed bumps).
I took the car into the shop and they checked the hubs and harness. All were good. Next suspect was the Electronic Brake Control Module.
I finally replaced the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) ordered from gmpartsdirect.com (PN: 25879093, part number was confirmed with a GM dealership and VIN provided to GM Parts Direct).
After replacing the EBCM, the car drives fine. The brakes no longer engage during takeoff, but now the ABS, TC, and BRAKE warning lights are present along with the same messages.

Here are my questions:
Does anybody have any knowledge on this?
Has anybody experienced this and fixed it?
Will the warning lights expire after a certain time/distance or will they need to be cleared with a code reader?
Did I install a bad EBCM?

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

- lylesr3524