Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2012 Impala Cheap Paint

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2014, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Impala Cheap Paint

Hi everyone I have a 2012 impala. Bought it with 31k miles and currently has 37k. I noticed that the paint chips EXTREMELY easily. Especially the hood. I know that miniature rocks are always flying up from other cars driving in front of you and slowly over time the hood paint will get chipped ..but for goodness sake the car only has 37k miles and there are tens of twentys of noticeable little chips in the hood paint. All around the door edges too there are just little spots here and there with chips. Even the body side molding is a little chipped in spots. I opened my door in my garage and just tapped it, it hit my wood garage wall and the paint chipped on the door edge.. Pretty frustrating ..I'm still under bumper to bumper warranty.. I know it says it covers rust ,..not paint ..but is this a known problem ? Is anyone else having this problem ? I'm a very particular guy but I've never had this happen like this to any car I've ever owned .. Thanks for any input
Old February 19th, 2014, 9:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't it 'rust through' coverage?

Do you follow the car in front to closely?
Are you in a heavily salted and sanded area?
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Where do you live ?, here in Michigan (Metro Detroit Area) they are dumping rock salt as if there was no tomorrow and the roads are deteriorating at an exponential rate (pot holes and crumbling)

Another question, do you know if the vehicle was in any kind of accident and re-painted prior to you purchasing it ? I have yet to see a dealer that can paint as good as the factory from a durability standpoint.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:05 PM
CF Beginner

I live in NC. Our town does not own road salt so that's not it. Also, my dad mentioned the possibility that it was in an accident and repainted.. There is nothing on the car fax ..and it was certified pre owned so it couldn't have been in a super major accident .. Not out of the question tho. Seems to do it on the hood and doors. Idk maybe I'm just particular . Just don't remember it being like this on past cars I had with over 100k miles