Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2015 Impala - only 2 changes ?

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2014, 10:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd2869
That is due to the fact that different surfaces cause different noise. Sorry, but the rim size has zero to do with noise. The simple truth is Bridgestone does not compare to Michelin which should have been spec'd for the car instead of this horrible tire. I am stating this from first hand experience.

I will be replacing the Bridgestones with real tires next month.

I have Goodyear OEM on mine 19's. Strange they couldn't get a Goodyear to fit a 20".

As for Michelins, the last 50% longer, but cost 50% more.
Old June 27th, 2014, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is due to the fact that different surfaces cause different noise. Sorry, but the rim size has zero to do with noise. The simple truth is Bridgestone does not compare to Michelin which should have been spec'd for the car instead of this horrible tire. I am stating this from first hand experience.

I will be replacing the Bridgestones with real tires next month.
Ummm come on player 1...

I wasn't calling out the 20s....

I never had a problem on that road with goodyear eagle RSAs in 16" form. ..

but the impy with 20s w/ potenza's was strange beyond belief.

even 100x worse than those RSA's on a graded road that doesn't even compare.

I'll try to make a video next time in that bat channel.
Old June 28th, 2014, 8:13 AM
Banned

Before getting sick of abuse from people crying because no oil was in their car 2 years after we changed it I worked in the tire/repair field for 15 years managing and selling.

I have been to advanced training classes with Goodyear, Michelin, BFGoodrich, Toyo and others.

Road surface interacting with the tire tread design is what causes the noise you are hearing. The size of the tire can effect ride but has zero to do with noise beyond influences on tread design.

Michelin will cost more to install than the Bridgestones but you know the old saying, you get what you pay for.

The Michelins GM installed on the 2012 Cruze LTZ RS we had were awesome in every way. Low noise, good traction and superior wear. Half worn 18" tires in 33,000 miles when traded after 22 months.

I am only stating my educated opinion that Michelin 20" tires would have made a world of difference in driving dynamics and noise. After I close on my new house in two weeks will be sourcing and installing Michelins. Will let you know how it goes.
Old June 28th, 2014, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before getting sick of abuse from people crying because no oil was in their car 2 years after we changed it I worked in the tire/repair field for 15 years managing and selling.

Yes, the 20" rims being thin as a piece of aluminum foil can never have anything to do with any interior noise vs. the 18" or 19" rims.

Come on.

I Think I Zigged when I Should Have Zagged! - Chevy Impala Forums
Old June 29th, 2014, 7:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
Yes, the 20" rims being thin as a piece of aluminum foil can never have anything to do with any interior noise vs. the 18" or 19" rims.

Come on.

I Think I Zigged when I Should Have Zagged! - Chevy Impala Forums
Wow, I used to think you were smarter than that.

Clearly you have some learning to do. "Thin as a piece of aluminum foil"....LoL. It is still scary to think that some people in this world will blame noise generation on the thickness of the metal used in production of a wheel. So the noise goes through the tire, then through the wheel, where does it go from there again? LoL

Any clue that the rims are likely the same thickness as your 19" rims Sledge?

You should read up on tires, wheels and the design and engineering involved with their production.

Have a good one.

Oh Wait, maybe you are right. These wheels do look as thin as foil.......LoL.

Name:  IMPALA12.jpg
Views: 4902
Size:  105.3 KB

Last edited by Todd2869; June 29th, 2014 at 7:25 AM.