Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

3.8 engine problem

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2011, 7:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3.8 engine problem

It's been awhile since I was here last but that in itself is testament to the reliability of these Impalas. We're now at 117k and still running strong with two exceptions.
1. We lost some A/C - heater control unit lights and 2. A newly developed coolant leak.
The coolant leak is of major concern. Without removing anything for a better view it looks like the leak is at the gasket between the upper plastic intake and the lower aluminum manifold. It's worse at the throttle body end as opposed to any other point at this seam. Could the throttle body gasket be bad and the coolant is just running all over that end?
We've owned this car since it was new so I know the throttle body gasket recall has not been done. Reason is, I had a friend at a Chevy dealer inform me part of this recall was adding radiator stop leak once the new gasket was installed. Having worked 20 years around mechanics from the auto level and the class 8 truck level, all of them said that stuff does more harm than good.
I have the ability to repair whatever leak might be. What I need to know is ...what is the experienced opinion on what the more common source of this leak might be so I can get all the parts I need before I disable the car for an afternoon.
Thanks in advance for all and any replies.
E.
Old April 1st, 2011, 9:44 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with the 3.8 is the EGR pipe is right there inside the intake by the throttle body. The best way to make a long term repair is the replace the plastic intake with one made by Dorman. It comes with all the gaskets along with a different EGR pipe that fixes the problem for good. Stay away from stop leak.

Google Dorman GM intake and read all about it.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

MDTAHOE,
I'm interested in your thought, How does the EGR pipe figure into the leak?
I will be looking into the Dorman intake after I type this message.
Thanks.
E.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 8:43 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I touches the inside of the intake which eventually warps it. This is why GM friend recommends stop leak after new gasket. Did you look into Dorman intake?
Old April 4th, 2011, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

Yes I did, and I ordered one. Found it online at Amazon of all places for $80.
Autozone and Advance Auto parts were asking $129. I'm going to do the wires and plugs while I'm in there as this car has really never required anything more than tires and brakes.
It is my first GM vehicle since my 74 Pontiac Ventura. For years I worked at a Ford dealer and could not turn down the employee deals on vehicles so we've had a Mustang, a Thunderbird, a Taurus SHO's, a Bronco and an F150 since 1984 till 2003.
This Impala is a very durable and reliable everyday car. With all four dedicated snow tires on it for the winter it's almost as good as a 4x4.
We're looking to replace our F150 this summer and I'll be checking out the GM lots too.
Thanks for your replies.
E.
Old April 11th, 2011, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

Talking

Update;
Completed the upper and lower intake job this weekend. Had the assistance of my 17 yr old nephew looking to learn about fixing cars. We did plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets, lower intake with OE GM gaskets and the new upper Dorman intake. Took us about 5 hours including my tutoring along the way. No more leaks, car runs great and only had a slight vacuum singing leak on the test ride. Turned out my nephew forgot the new o-ring on the vacuum connector for the brake booster hose.
Inside of the motor was very clean from every 3000 mi. religious oil changes.
Lookng forward to more problem free miles from this car.
Thanks
E.