Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Brake service --Electric Parking Brake Service Question

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2019, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake service --Electric Parking Brake Service Question

I have a 2015 Impala LT with the 3.6. I want to replace the rotors and pads myself on all 4 wheels. I dont have a scan tool. I need to know if there is a special process required with the electric parking brake on this car. I cant find anything definitive on the net regarding this.I have the tool to turn the caliper pistons back in. I need to know if I can perform the brake service on this car like any other car I have done or if there is a special process due to the electric parking brake. It seems to me as this car has brake cables, I should be able to change the rotor and pads as normal. Just disconnect the battery. I did see a comment by a mechanic that as long as you werent replacing the cables or the electric motor of the parking brake no special service procedure was required.
Old August 21st, 2019, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

haven't worked on the gm electric ebrake system but the fca system also requires a scan tool to retract the pistons. the fca system does have a manual retract method...I assume they all should otherwise if the actuator failed with the ebrake on...you couldn't remove the caliper.
Old August 25th, 2019, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

As an FYI the repair is complete. I did disconnect the battery and proceeded to change the rotors and pads as normal. No issue. The brakes came apart and were put back together as any GM without an electric parking brake. The one issue I have now is that the ambient outside air temp does not work. Does not show any temp at all. I am hoping that after the battery has been reconnected for a while it will reset itself.
Old August 25th, 2019, 5:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

if there is a problem with the circuit a dtc will be set in one these modules, hvac, bcm, or pcm. bcm and hvac modules require a scan tool that can access b codes. a cheap code reader won't do it.
Old August 26th, 2019, 8:16 AM
CF Beginner

Fired the car up this morning and the temp has reappeared on the screen so I guess it just takes some time for the car to reset itself. Only thing that had to reset were my radio presets but that is an easy fix!!.