Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Buying advice on low mileage 2003 Impala please

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2012, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying advice on low mileage 2003 Impala please

Looking at a 2003 Impala base model with 51,000 miles. Elderly driven for last 6 yrs. Last three years very limited use, mostly by siblings to keep car exercised so maybe a few hundred miles a year.
No leaks on the garage floor and oil changed on a regular basis.
3.4L
With that in mind should I be concerned about Dex-Cool not being changed yet? Transmission issues from lack of use? and what not.
I drove the car a very short distance without current plates so didn't get to see much, but appears ok.
Asking $6300.
Any input appreciated, need to let seller know tomorrow.
Thanks
Old January 29th, 2012, 3:57 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2002 Impala LS with the bigger engine. I'll tell you my experiences, but they may not be the same as the car you are looking at.

First, the coolant. Yep, mine leaked. Not a lot, but I had to top off the coolant every few weeks. I didn't think it was worth the cost of replacing the intake manifod gasket. In June, I tried something novel. I flushed the system (and replaced the stuck thermostat), added a bottle of Bar's Leaks Liquid Copper Block & Radiator Sealer, and filled with conventional green anti-freeze. It actually worked. I have gone 6 months without adding a drop of coolant. I'm happy so far.

Antifreezes on the market now say they are safe for all makes and models. I would recommend flushing the system and use something like Prestone instead of the Dexcool. And if there is any intake manifold leaking, use the sealer I used.

Brakes: The front rotors are susceptable to pulsing. I assume they are warping or getting hot spots. I replaced the rotors with what the auto store clerk said was their 'premium' rotors and the problem still persists. Turning the rotors helps, for a while, but within a few months they start pulsating again. I am looking into replacing the rotors with drilled/slotted rotors next and see if that cures the problem.

The intermediate steering arm was an issue; I went through 3 of them. Not safety related (according to Chevy) but annoying. Last time, Chevy had changed the part from plastic splines to metal splines (at least, metal coated) and they say this part should not wear out like the original design. So far so good.

Other than these items, the car had been pretty good. There have been a few things that broke, but nothing too serious or expensive and the car is holding up well.
Old January 29th, 2012, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

I made the owner an offer and he accepted. I plan on flushing the cooling system and maybe change the transmission fluid even though I see it should be good to 100,000 miles.
Seemed to run good on the 40 mile drive home. Only issue maybe the tires. Although new they seem to be flat spotted from sitting. I hope not.
Old January 30th, 2012, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

As old as the car is, I would probably replace all of the fluids and filters if they haven't already been replaced. Miles are one thing, but you could easily have 8 to 9 years of age on the fluids even if the miles aren't that high.

Also check the tire age as well. A lot of organizations are recommending tires be replaced 10 years after manufacture, even if the rubber looks good.
Old January 30th, 2012, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks TomKattt