Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

A/c not blowing cold after a/c recharge

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2019, 9:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check back with me as im dropping my Impala off Monday to get the gauges hooked and figure out why the a/c fan is not kicking on when a/c is turned on.
Old August 25th, 2019, 6:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

does the ac work normally at highway speed? if yes, the only problem you have is with the fan.
Old August 28th, 2019, 3:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Ok got the Impala back. It had a body code B0408 stored.

The Tech/Owner at another certafied shop did varify correct amount of refrigerant was installed in my A/C system.

The A/C cooling fan does work, however it's not comming on possibly because of this body code that was stored. B0408? (Which can mean several things)

The Tech/Owner said more than likely it is a faulty blend door (stepper motor) on the drivers side dash.

His (Tech/Owner) recommendation is to change that blend door (stepper motor) then disconnect battery and we will see if that body code goes away.

He did mention the A/C is working and functional but may not be coming on / getting cold because of that blend door (stepper motor) so it may be in the stuck position closed or not functioning. If replacing the blend door does not fix the problem it may be the control head , however he did recommend replacing that blend door as we all know the Chevy Impala's have a huge problem with those little plastic gears inside those motors. That would make sense since I could feel a temperature variation between drivers side and passangers side vents when on HEAT.

Conclusion: I orded a blend door off Amazon for $14.00 and will install it and re-test. I have not tried my A/C out on the HWY just yet but I will after I install this new drivers side blend door motor. This diagnosis cost me $50.00
Old August 28th, 2019, 8:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by ddemier7
Ok got the Impala back. It had a body code B0408 stored.

The Tech/Owner at another certafied shop did varify correct amount of refrigerant was installed in my A/C system.

The A/C cooling fan does work, however it's not comming on possibly because of this body code that was stored. B0408? (Which can mean several things)

The Tech/Owner said more than likely it is a faulty blend door (stepper motor) on the drivers side dash.

His (Tech/Owner) recommendation is to change that blend door (stepper motor) then disconnect battery and we will see if that body code goes away.

He did mention the A/C is working and functional but may not be coming on / getting cold because of that blend door (stepper motor) so it may be in the stuck position closed or not functioning. If replacing the blend door does not fix the problem it may be the control head , however he did recommend replacing that blend door as we all know the Chevy Impala's have a huge problem with those little plastic gears inside those motors. That would make sense since I could feel a temperature variation between drivers side and passangers side vents when on HEAT.

Conclusion: I orded a blend door off Amazon for $14.00 and will install it and re-test. I have not tried my A/C out on the HWY just yet but I will after I install this new drivers side blend door motor. This diagnosis cost me $50.00
a blend door would not cause the ac hoses not to get cold...regardless of what the doors do...when the ac system is running properly...the low side should get cold, the high side should be hot.
Old August 28th, 2019, 10:13 PM
CF Junior Member

I will replace the blend door than report back.
Old September 1st, 2019, 1:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Ok got Amazon blend door motor instaled and now one pipe gets cold and starting to sweat after about 30 min of operation with AC on.

I do hear a noise coming from compressor, that sounds like a bearing?? Its a rattling noise that was not there before blend door install. Its definitely blowing cold air and working but noise is coming from the compressor ONLY when the AC is on. Its a noise that you can hear with the hood closed
The noise sounds similar to a bad water pump when the water pump bearing goes bad, however the noise is ONLY there when AC is engaged. Defenetly coming from compressor.

Grrrrrrrr, are these compressor's rebuildable? I don't think its even worth my time to service because the value of the car. Any advise guys?

Last edited by ddemier7; September 3rd, 2019 at 6:48 AM.
Old September 1st, 2019, 3:11 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by ddemier7
Ok got Amazon blend door motor instaled and now one pipe gets cold and starting to sweat after about 30 min of operation with AC on.

I do hear a noise coming from compressor, that sounds like a bearing?? Its a rattling noise that was not there before blend door install. Its definitely blowing cold air and working but noise is coming from compressor ONLY when the AC is on. Its a noise that you can hear with the hood closed. Kinda sounds like a bad water pump when the pump bearing is bad but the noise is ONLY there when AC is engaged. Defenetly coming from compressor.

Grrrrrrrr

Are these compressor rebuildable? I dont think its even worth my time. Any advise guys.
Yeah you could rebuild a the compressor, but you'd have no warranty and uses up lots of time like you said.Yours takes 8 ounces of PAG 150 lubricant,. Legally you have to have a shop remove all of the R134A for recycling with a machine. I'd finally change the orifice tube as its less then 10 bucks and see if any material is clogging it up.I'd change the oil rings as well.If so you might need to replace the condenser, as the new ones don't flush out very well at all, if the compressor did go bad,

Compared to old the R-12 Freon or older R-134A systems after about year 2000.I'd add a can of R-134A with UV dye in it, in case you ever develop a leak.Its only about $13 dollars a can and you only need one can,

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&jsn=13&jsn=13
Old September 1st, 2019, 3:52 AM
CF Junior Member

I did replace the condenser (used) and O- rings and the inline AC filter when I serviced the AC system as the car was hit real light in the front left corner.

How about just getting the AC clutch kit and servicing that as I shouldn't have to vacum out the refrigrant. It does sound like the bearings are going out.

Does anyone know where I can get a clutch kit or bearings for the 5.3 ltr AC compressor? I can find the V6 an 4 cylinder clutch kit all day long on Ebay.

Here is a how to video on replacing the clutch on a compressor. My Impala is making almost the exact same noise.

https://youtu.be/j7yflp1WFrU

Last edited by ddemier7; September 1st, 2019 at 4:22 AM.
Old September 1st, 2019, 4:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Looks like I found a clutch kit from Rock Auto its an AC Delco. I will cross refrence some numbers just to make sure its compatable with my application, however Rock Auto is showing this fits my application.

I included a couple of pictures so you guys could varify. I've never purchased anything from Rock Auto. Let me know your guys input. I think this kit includes the bearing?

Old September 21st, 2019, 8:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Replaced clutch / stator / pully with bearing and it ended up still making the noise.

I bought a used compressor $75 and swapped out new clutch / stator / pully and bearing and it had it re-charged. Workes great and blows ice cold.

Quick Reply: A/c not blowing cold after a/c recharge