Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Dark headlights and install for speakers on 03'

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2008, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dark headlights and install for speakers on 03'

Im picking up my 03' impala sometime this week and i wana add some stuff to it. Its not an Ls and i need some way to spend my tax refund. I would like to put in Black headlights the cover so its not clear. Would any one know where to purchase them? Also has anyone installed after market speakers and know how to do it properly with out snapping any plastic parts off? If any one has ne suggestions for cheap up grades aesthetics wise or proformance give me some advice. I was also thinking a front push guard but let me know.
Old January 26th, 2008, 10:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Dark headlights and install for speakers on 03'

about the speakers...I installed some infinity kappa 6X9s and I just cut the wires and then wires screwed the cables from the speakers to the power and speaker cable..it is a lot easier and it all depends on what type of speakers you get...infinity kappas are amazing..
Old March 14th, 2008, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

check out streettrends.com they have everything you need for the 2000-2005 impalas. they don't have everything on their website but if you call the number @ the top of the website they will send you a little book of everything they have it's 5 bucks and you get it in less than 4 days hope this was helpful.
Old March 14th, 2008, 8:25 PM
Impala Super Moderator

Here you go:
Removing the Rear Speakers

Looking to replace the rear speakers in your Impala? It's not as easy as just removing the speaker grilles. To get the speakers out, you have to remove the rear seat, then the rear upper quarter trim panel, then the rear shelf trim panel.

NOTE: This is all book information. I have not tried this out yet. I've been asked for these directions a number of times so it's quicker if I just post it once.

I: Remove the rear seat.

Rear Seat Cushion:
[*]Pull the tabs on the rear seat cushion retainers in order to release the rear seat cushion.[*]Remove the rear seat cushion by lifting up and pulling out of the retainer. Remove cushion from vehicle. [/ol]

Rear Seat Back:
[*]Remove the nuts from the rear seat retainer at the bottom of the rear seat back.[*]Fold the rear seat back cushions down.[*]Remove the bolts from the rear seat latches.[*]Remove the rear seat latches from the rear seat back.[*]Fold the rear seat back cushions up.[*]Reposition the seat belts from the rear seat back.[*]Remove the rear seat back from the vehicle. [/ol]

II: Remove the rear upper quarter trim panel.

[*]Reposition the rear seat belt from the rear upper quarter trim panel.[*]Remove the rear upper quarter trim panel from the clip retainers on the upper side rail.[*]Remove the rear upper quarter trim panel from the rear quarter upper inner panel. Remove from vehicle. [/ol]

III: Remove the rear shelf trim panel.

[*]Remove the push-in retainers from the front of the rear shelf trim panel.[*]Lift the rear shelf trim panel and remove the seat belts through the slots in the rear shelf trim panel.[*]Slide the rear shelf trim panel forward to disengage the integral hook from the retaining hole and remove the rear shelf trim panel. [/ol]

IV: Remove the rear speakers.

[*]Disengage the speaker retaining tabs. Remove the speaker alignment tab from the opening in the rear window panel. The speaker seal may have bonded with the shelf metal. Carefully pry the housing away from the metal while holding the speaker retaining tabs in order to remove the speaker.[*]Remove the rear speaker.[*]Disconnect the electrical connector from the rear speaker. [/ol]

After all that, you are probably wondering why you should go through all that trouble. The speaker grilles are mounted from beneath the rear shelf trim panel. To remove the grilles, you have to unscrew the mounting clips under the panel.

If you do not want to cut your factory harness, Metra/DashWorks sells a speaker wire harness adapter that works with the Impala. One end has the special connector that fits into the factory harness and the other end has female connectors that should fit most aftermarket speakers. The part number is DW-4568SH. I purchased a set at Circuit City.

According to Crutchfield, any 6" x 9" speaker will fit in the openings.

Want to upgrade your door speakers? It's a lot easier than removing the rear ones.

NOTE: If you want to see actual photos of the front door panel being removed, go to the How To article on Removing the Front Door Panel

[*]Remove the screw holding in the bezel.[*]Remove the bezel from the door trim panel.[*]Disconnect the power door lock electrical connector. [/ol]

[*]Remove the screws from the door armrest pull cup.[*]Remove the pull cup from the door trim panel using a small flat-bladed tool at the front of the pull cup and press rearward to release the clip retainer.
NOTE: Apply tape at the insertion point of the small flat-bladed tool to protect the trim panel.[*]Disconnect the power window switch electrical connector and power mirror electrical connector as applicable. [/ol]

[*]Remove the door trim panel screws from the pull cup support bracket.[*]Remove the two screws for the door pull handle bracket.[*]Remove the front door trim panel using a trim removal tool in order to disengage the fasteners from the door inner panel. [/ol]
NOTE: Before removing the door trim panel, remove the screw from the next step below. The instructions from this page are right out of the service manual. However if you attempt to remove the door panel without removing the screw in the upper door trim panel, you run the risk of damaging one of the panels.

[*]Remove the screw from the upper door trim panel.[*]Remove the trim panel from the front door. [/ol]
NOTE: As I mentioned, this is right out of the manual, but to me it was easier to remove this panel with the bigger door panel.

[*]Remove the door speakers screws.[*]Pull the speaker toward you. Disconnect the electrical connector from the speaker.[*]Remove the speaker. [/ol]

You need to use new trim panel replacement retainers when you reinstall the door trim panel. Install the upper edge of the trim panel first, then work your way around. Don't forget to route the electrical connectors through the openings. Re-install the screws and the bezels.

According to Crutchfield, any 6 3/4" speaker will fit in the openings.
Old March 19th, 2008, 5:58 PM
CF Junior Member

those directions suck...you don't have to take out the back seat..just pull the back seat down,, undo the bolts and rip it off....as for the front speakers,, the speaker grills come off with ease...taking your door panel off is ridiculous...grrr