Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

engine hot ac off

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2014, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Hot A/C off

This happened to me a couple weeks ago in my 2006 Impala. Suddenly the temp gauge went to cold and the fans came on. Then after a day or so, the check engine light came on. I checked the codes and it was a P0128, indicating the engine wasn't heating up quickly enough.
I did some internet searches without much success, but finally found something about the thermostat being bad. It seemed crazy, but I've owned the car for 4 years and put about 80,000 miles on it. I figured it couldn't hurt to replace the thermostat.
I replaced it and cleared the code about 4 days ago, and since then I have not seen the problem come back. No more Engine Hot A/C off warning, no faulty gauge and no MIL indicator light.
Old November 18th, 2014, 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 Chevy Impala-Stephanie

Im having the same problem as the rest, the engine hot ac off code, I took my care to auto zone and i was told i would need a new thermostat, I live in one city and work in another 75 miles away, the car is not running hot but the fan is on as well as the check engine light. My question like Dougs is will i make the commute 75 miles home?.. Ugh! cars
Old November 18th, 2014, 7:59 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Stephanie,

Have you considered taking your vehicle into the dealership for a diagnosis? We hope everything is fine during your commute, but if you encounter any issues you can contact Chevrolet Roadside Assistance at 877-798-2989. Please feel free to private message us your VIN, mileage and contact information if we can offer our assistance.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 19th, 2014, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default engine hot/ ac off and tapping in dashboard

I replaced my thermostat and I have not receive message again and I no longer have the tapping in my dashboard.
Old November 24th, 2014, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Engine Hot A/C off

I have a 2008 Impala with 80,000 miles. I get the engine hot a/c off error every now and then but only when it's cold outside. I can't seem to find any thing in common when it occurs. A few times it happened when it was below freezing and I just started the car in the morning. I use a code scanner and clear the codes and it goes away some times for weeks and sometimes for a few days. A couple of time it happened when I was driving but then it usually cleared it self in a few miles. Other times it didn't clear but I had to clear the code manually. One problem was the remote starter wouldn't work if the code was not cleared.
I like my Impala but a lot of annoying problems is making me not want to buy another Chevy.
Door locks not working in warm weather but the cost to fix them is about $1600.
Rear defogger not working - Burnt out wire (not fused) by passenger Fuse box. Replaced wit h30 Amp fused connector.
Service Traction control / ABS error codes. Had the wheel hub replaced but the problem was the ABS connector.
Fuel tank purge valve error. Topped of gas tank too much.
The annoying thing is all of these problem are not uncommon with many Impala / Chevy vehicles.
Old December 9th, 2014, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default Having same problem

With my 2010 Impala Engine Hot A/C Off message came up on my dash last night and again this morning -- as soon as I turned the ignition. It's in the 30s, so it's not warm outside -- my AC hasn't been on in a couple of months. The engine light came on about 4 miles into my 6 mile commute. I've made an appointment with the dealer for tonight -- but am a bit upset to see this is an ongoing issue for the Impala models.
Old February 12th, 2015, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Engine hot a/c off message

My message came on today, drove it 2 miles. I have an 09 Equinox, so fed up with this lemon, only 28000 miles on it, have had so many problems with this vehicle, that I will never buy another Chevy product. Had a 2005 Sunfire and that was bad too. Brought it to dealership, they said it looks like a bad sensor. Add this to 2 bad pistons only a year into owning it, and so many electrical problems that I can't count high enough, means I am going to another company...looks like a Ford for me soon.
Old February 12th, 2015, 8:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Allanbliss
My message came on today, drove it 2 miles. I have an 09 Equinox, so fed up with this lemon, only 28000 miles on it, have had so many problems with this vehicle, that I will never buy another Chevy product. Had a 2005 Sunfire and that was bad too. Brought it to dealership, they said it looks like a bad sensor. Add this to 2 bad pistons only a year into owning it, and so many electrical problems that I can't count high enough, means I am going to another company...looks like a Ford for me soon.
"Within a year of owning it" The vehicle already has more years than what you've owned. You bought 2nd hand.

Well good luck with Ford.
Old April 28th, 2015, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
"Within a year of owning it" The vehicle already has more years than what you've owned. You bought 2nd hand.

Well good luck with Ford.
Wow, who cares if you are the first or second owner of any GM product!!!! They should still stand behind their product and at least try to keep them on the road!!!! Doesn't sound like GM cares if this is happening on so many different years and models!! I have a 2011 Impala and got the same DIC!!!! I'm in Florida and it's almost 90 degrees F here, so it's not just happening in the cold weather!!!
Old June 2nd, 2015, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default Clicking

Originally Posted by jtownrolltide
My impala gave me this error message tonight, I also have an annoying tapping in my dash. Everyone I know with an impala has this same tapping issue. Why is my dashboard sounding like it wants to take flight?
You need to replace the blend actuator. Common impala problem. There are two behind the glove compartment. My 11 year old watched a video on YouTube and fixed it. The part is under $40.

Quick Reply: engine hot ac off