Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Error messages on '02 Impala

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2010, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Error messages on '02 Impala

I could really use some help figuring our what I have to do to fix my problem.

On my message center I get 'security' followed by the battery sign (and gong) followed by the 'service vehicle soon' light. This all started within the past 100 miles initially with the 'security' intermittently, then the battery, then the service light. With only 50k miles on the the car, it drives beautifully while all this is going on.

At one point the airbag light came on and the speedo sank to zero for a second or two. Most strange. Any suggestions?
Old November 10th, 2010, 2:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default Still no joy!

I tried the resistor installation method to help my problem.

Removed the dash and other panels and ignition switch. Checked what resistance was needed (1800 ohms), and installed the resistor into the wiring.

Absolutely no difference. I still get the security/battery/service-engine-soon sequence while driving. Also strange happenings on the radio (when switched off) and other warning lights etc.
<o></o>
Can anyone suggest a direction to go to fix this problem. I have ordered a code reader so am hoping to get closer to a solution.
Old November 10th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe go to the dealer?? do u get a check engine light
Old November 10th, 2010, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Unfortunately I am in the UK with my Florida '02 Impala. Dealers are none existent. I have to figure this one out myself. Got the shop manual though. No the engine light does not come on. The ten/thirty minute relearn procedure has no effect whatsoever. Says in the book after ten minutes the flashing security light goes out. Not on my car.
Old November 10th, 2010, 2:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh ok..sorry i cant help you!.. hopefully somebody here can and will help!
Old November 11th, 2010, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

Default The saga continues

I just got my new scanner (budget model) and plugged it in and lo and behold, no fault codes. I could read the VIN with this tool so it had to access the BCM where the VIN is stored (I believe). The only indication at this point is that the security light flashes on start without the engine running. After about 20 miles or so it all goes haywire. Seems it could be a bad ground or a loose wire somewhere. I checked the battery plus and minus terminals, they seemed ok.
Old November 15th, 2010, 5:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default Help still needed

I have now bypassed the passlock with a resistor. Removed the ingnition and checked the rear contacts, they looked in good clean condition. I get no error codes but the symptoms are the same, thus:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Brian/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <woNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt;} h1 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:1; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:14.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt; font-weight:normal;} h2 {margin-right:0in; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-outline-level:2; font-size:18.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} h3 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; mso-pagination:none; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:3; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:48.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt; font-weight:normal;} p.MsoTitle, li.MsoTitle, div.MsoTitle {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; mso-pagination:none; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:14.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} p.MsoBodyText, li.MsoBodyText, div.MsoBodyText {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} span.bodyfont {mso-style-name:bodyfont;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --></style><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Brian/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <woNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt;} h1 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:1; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:14.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt; font-weight:normal;} h2 {margin-right:0in; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-outline-level:2; font-size:18.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} h3 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; mso-pagination:none; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:3; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:48.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt; font-weight:normal;} p.MsoTitle, li.MsoTitle, div.MsoTitle {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; mso-pagination:none; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:14.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} p.MsoBodyText, li.MsoBodyText, div.MsoBodyText {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} span.bodyfont {mso-style-name:bodyfont;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --></style><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Brian/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <woNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt;} h1 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:1; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:14.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt; font-weight:normal;} h2 {margin-right:0in; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-outline-level:2; font-size:18.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} h3 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; mso-pagination:none; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:3; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:48.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt; font-weight:normal;} p.MsoTitle, li.MsoTitle, div.MsoTitle {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; mso-pagination:none; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:14.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} p.MsoBodyText, li.MsoBodyText, div.MsoBodyText {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} span.bodyfont {mso-style-name:bodyfont;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->After battery removal. <!--[endif]--><o></o>
Car starts and runs normally<o></o>
After about 10 minutes (2 miles) battery light comes on with chimes, goes off.<o></o>
After another minute the security light comes on and stays on.<o></o>
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->Battery light with chimes comes on and alternates with security light. <!--[endif]--><o></o>
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->After a minute or two the ‘service vehicle soon’ light comes on and alternates with battery and security light. <!--[endif]--><o></o>
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->A minute or two later the airbag light comes on and then the brake (parking) light comes on and both go off. <!--[endif]--><o></o>
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->After shutting down and sequentially pulling the three BCM fuses and checking status, there is no change. <!--[endif]--><o></o>
All the time the car runs normally.
Where to next anyone?
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default An amazing lack of information

I have searched the web for solutions to this problem (security/battery/service lights). Unfortunately I haven't found a defining solution as yet. There are many, many writers that have experienced this sequence of problems but not one that offers a real solution. The posts throughout the web, date back to 2007 yet nobody has come back and said how they solved the problem. Maybe they didn't, but I doubt it. I came across the GM response to the problem and here it is. Anybody who wants to offer some suggestions would be most welcome!
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Brian/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <woNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Helvetica; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536902279 -2147483648 8 0 511 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt;} h1 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:1; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:14.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt; font-weight:normal;} h2 {margin-right:0in; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-outline-level:2; font-size:18.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} h3 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; mso-pagination:none; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:3; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:48.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt; font-weight:normal;} p.MsoHeader, li.MsoHeader, div.MsoHeader {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; tab-stops:center 3.0in right 6.0in; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt;} p.MsoFooter, li.MsoFooter, div.MsoFooter {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; tab-stops:center 3.0in right 6.0in; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt;} p.MsoTitle, li.MsoTitle, div.MsoTitle {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; mso-pagination:none; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:14.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} p.MsoBodyText, li.MsoBodyText, div.MsoBodyText {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} span.bodyfont {mso-style-name:bodyfont;} span.klink {mso-style-name:klink;} @page Section1 {size:595.2pt 841.75pt; margin:.5in .7in 58.3pt .7in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-page-numbers:1; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:1089734143; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:-101410472 67698703 67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715;} @list l0:level1 {mso-level-tab-stop:.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} ol {margin-bottom:0in;} ul {margin-bottom:0in;} --> </style>
BCM - Security Lamp ON/No Crank/DTC's Set
Bulletin No.: 04-08-47-003
Date: August 31, 2004
TECHNICAL
Subject: Security Light On, Engine Will Not Crank, Diagnostic Trouble Codes B2958 and/or B2960 (Repair Poor Terminal Connections at Body Control Module)
Models: 2000-2005 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo
Condition
Some customers may comment on an engine that will not crank. Others may comment on the security light being on. Technicians may find DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) B2958 and/or B2960.<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]--><o></o>
Cause<o></o>
These conditions may have several different causes. In each case, however, testing of the BCMs (Body Control Modules) replaced for these conditions are frequently found to be operating to specifications and are believed to have been replaced needlessly. A change was made to the BCM hardware in February of 2003. An updated BCM can be identified by a GMAN169 or higher number found on the BCM part label. This hardware change was made to prevent the remote possibility that a BCM, built after the GMAN169 number, could be the cause of these conditions.<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]--><o></o>
Correction
The following are the likely causes of these conditions:<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->
  1. Damaged or loose/unseated terminals in these BCM connectors may cause a security light or no start condition: BCM connector C1 (24-way, pink in color), terminal B9 (white wire, circuit 1459)
    BCM connector C1 (24-way, pink in color), terminal B12 (black wire, circuit 1835)
    BCM connector C2 (24-way, grey in color), terminal A3 (yellow wire, circuit 1836)
    Important: Use only approved tools for removal and testing of terminals. Do not use unapproved tools to probe a terminal as this could cause damage. Use Probe Tool J 35616-6, from the J 35616-B terminal test kit, to test the terminals in the BCM connector.<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]--><o></o>
  2. Check all the terminals in both BCM connectors, focusing on the three terminals listed above, for damage and proper seating of the terminal in the connector. If no damage is noted, follow the normal SI diagnostic procedures including clearing codes and attempting to duplicate the concern.<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]--><o></o>
  3. Always check for and clear all DTCs after recharging or disconnecting the battery. Attempt to restart the vehicle only after all DTCs have been cleared. This will help prevent an unnecessary BCM replacement due to false DTCs being set while servicing the battery.<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]--><o></o>
  4. A BCM should not be replaced when DTCs U1016 and/or U1064 have been set, even though the BCM is turning on the security light. Diagnose and repair or replace components as directed by the diagnostic procedures for these diagnostic trouble codes.<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]--><o></o>
  5. A current or history diagnostic trouble code B2958 in the BCM and a loss of battery voltage due to a battery going dead or a battery disconnect may cause a no start condition upon recharging or reconnecting the battery. Clearing the diagnostic trouble code will allow the vehicle to start.<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]--><o></o>
  6. The security light may turn on when the IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster) or PCM (Powertrain Control Module) does not receive a state of health message from the BCM within a specified window of time. DTCs U1016 or U1064 may set. Upon receiving the state of health message again, the security light will go out and diagnostic trouble codes will go to history. If this happens frequently, the vehicle may exhibit an intermittent or random flash of the security light.<o></o>