Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

HELP WITH ERROR CODE P04446 on 2002 Chevy Impala 3.4L

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2018, 7:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP WITH ERROR CODE P0446 on 2002 Chevy Impala 3.4L

So I've got an engine light on, and I used the ELM 327 Mini OBD-2 scanner and bought the OBD fusion app for android os. The diagnostics scan showed the error code P0446 which is an Evaporative Emissions System Vent Control Circuit. Does anyone have any past experience or insight on how to go about troubleshooting and/or solving this?

Last edited by chuckernaut87; July 31st, 2018 at 5:50 AM.
Old July 30th, 2018, 11:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckernaut87
So I've got an engine light on, and I used the ELM 327 Mini OBD-2 scanner and bought the OBD fusion app for android os. The diagnostics scan showed the error code P04446 which is an Evaporative Emissions System Vent Control Circuit. Does anyone have any past experience or insight on how to go about troubleshooting and/or solving this?
Faulty, missing, or broken gas cap, faulty EVAP system hose, leaking fuel tank or a busted charcoal canister. are likely issues.
Old July 31st, 2018, 1:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the vent solenoid may be faulty.
-with your scan tool; turn the vent solenoid on and off...you should hear it click as it closes and opens. if not....
-remove the vent solenoid connector
-one wire should have battery voltage at key on...use a test light to grd
-jumper the test light across the 2 terminals in the connector
-with your scan tool...turn on the vent solenoid...the test light should light up. If it lights up...replace the vent solenoid.
-
Old September 23rd, 2019, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Faulty, missing, or broken gas cap, faulty EVAP system hose, leaking fuel tank or a busted charcoal canister. are likely issues.
I too have this code.... I replaced gas cap and also the purge valve and still code returns. Is the charcoal canister a difficult part to replace? I looked on auto store website for my vehicle and did not see a charcoal canister listed (2001 Impala 3.8) but I did find a vapor canister.... is tis it? ... https://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...126/577567_0_0
Old September 23rd, 2019, 8:49 PM
Super Moderator

the vent solenoid may be the problem not the purge solenoid. check the vent solenoid b4 replacing a cannister.
Old September 24th, 2019, 7:24 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the vent solenoid may be the problem not the purge solenoid. check the vent solenoid b4 replacing a cannister.
Thanks....is the vent solenoid attached to the canister? I ordered a new vent canister online yesterday an dit arrives today since it was a fairly cheap part and easy to replace with only one electrical connection and one hose attachment
Old September 24th, 2019, 7:26 AM
CF Beginner

Actually this is the part I bought thinking it was the canister but it is the vent solenoid. So where is the canister located?

Old September 24th, 2019, 8:43 AM
Super Moderator

follow the hose from the vent solenoid...it leads to the cannister.
make sure you can blow thru the hose..its should have a very slight restriction. a large back pressure means the cannister is clogged.
The following users liked this post:
captainron19 (September 24th, 2019)
Old September 24th, 2019, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

follow the hose from the vent solenoid...it leads to the cannister.
make sure you can blow thru the hose..its should have a very slight restriction. a large back pressure means the cannister is clogged.

Thanks.... yeah the canister I believe is th emost expensive part so that will be the last part replaced. If the Solenoid replacement does not do it today then I will check all of the hoses also ... fingers crossed
Old September 30th, 2019, 6:55 AM
CF Beginner

Well replaced the vent solenoid the other day - check engine light came back on in about 2 days. I guess the only thing I have left to check is the canister

Quick Reply: HELP WITH ERROR CODE P04446 on 2002 Chevy Impala 3.4L