Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Impala (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/)
-   -   help!!!!!! major problems 2000 impala (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/help-major-problems-2000-impala-28823/)

dwright85 December 21st, 2009 1:40 AM

help!!!!!! major problems 2000 impala

i have a 2000 impala with the 3.4 v6 and i am slowly losing coolant thought i had a bad thermostat but it didn't fix the problem it doesn't run at full tempusually at 2/3 of the way warm and i also have a bad radiator fan i believe its the main one not the aux i run my defroster so the other one kicks on intermittantly i smell coolant when my car is running but it doesn't leave puddles or nething like that there is no coolant in my oil or in the radiator so what gives? could it be bad intake manifold gaskets? and is that a totall pain to do? or could someone that is handy with working on cars could tackle in a weekend? btw my car has 150 thousand mls i really need some help on this its are family car and i need it 2 be reliable for me and my kids i live in nebraska and being stranded on the side of the road in the winter is no good and thanx for all the help

Deacon328 December 21st, 2009 7:27 AM

I am a novice mechanic at best and I hate to be the bearer of possible bad news but our Impalas are notorious for bad head gaskets. Bad to the point that there is a lawsuit out there against GM for several thousand Impala owners over a similar situation.

I would have a friend who is a good mechanic check the upper and low head gaskets.

tblouise December 27th, 2009 5:38 PM

Is there any lawsuits for bad transmissions @ 72000k on a Impala?

capucine January 6th, 2010 5:56 PM

I am sure that your intake gasket is at fault like thousand of other impala owners if your year is 2003 and lower. The 2004 models were corrected from this problem of dexcool eating the plastic intake manifold gasket. I had a 2003 impala with 160,000 kilometers a bit over 100,000 milles. I had no isue with my gasket. It was only a matter of time but the real issue came from my transmission with major problems concerning the lazy solenoids that were giving hesitations at start up etc . I got rid of this car to upgrade for a 2009 uplander lt. So far the van has 16,000 kilometers and not a single issue of troubles.

HotSauce6226 April 1st, 2010 11:37 PM

Intake gasket is your problem

77k10 April 4th, 2010 11:02 PM

how hard is it to replace this gasket... and if I have one which had the gaskets replaced 4 years ago will it to still have the potential to a dex cool problem again

HotSauce6226 April 5th, 2010 7:53 AM

Dex Cool was never the problem. Its just bad gaskets. Ive never done it myself, but its not horribly bad

Americanboy330 May 3rd, 2010 2:55 AM

I have had your same problems!! and so has my buddy with the 2003 impala upstate as well. Cost $575 to replace the gasket 3 weeks ago, and guess what wnt out this week? THE TRANNY! Anyone have a link to that chevy impala tranny lawsuit? I think I and the rest of us have grounds for a claim. BTW, anyone know if the 4T65E transmission from another car can be used? Thank you!

tblouise May 4th, 2010 4:04 PM

Gosh anyone have information on this lawsuit. I cannot afford to pay for a transmission on a car I still owe on. This is crazy!!!!!!!!!!

rsinsel May 5th, 2010 9:03 AM

Originally Posted by dwright85 (Post 123840)
i have a 2000 impala with the 3.4 v6 and i am slowly losing coolant thought i had a bad thermostat but it didn't fix the problem it doesn't run at full tempusually at 2/3 of the way warm and i also have a bad radiator fan i believe its the main one not the aux i run my defroster so the other one kicks on intermittantly i smell coolant when my car is running but it doesn't leave puddles or nething like that there is no coolant in my oil or in the radiator so what gives? could it be bad intake manifold gaskets? and is that a totall pain to do? or could someone that is handy with working on cars could tackle in a weekend? btw my car has 150 thousand mls i really need some help on this its are family car and i need it 2 be reliable for me and my kids i live in nebraska and being stranded on the side of the road in the winter is no good and thanx for all the help

Intake leak is right. Replace the intake at the same time. Trust me. Or it will leak again.