Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

help!!!!!! major problems 2000 impala

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2009, 1:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help!!!!!! major problems 2000 impala

i have a 2000 impala with the 3.4 v6 and i am slowly losing coolant thought i had a bad thermostat but it didn't fix the problem it doesn't run at full tempusually at 2/3 of the way warm and i also have a bad radiator fan i believe its the main one not the aux i run my defroster so the other one kicks on intermittantly i smell coolant when my car is running but it doesn't leave puddles or nething like that there is no coolant in my oil or in the radiator so what gives? could it be bad intake manifold gaskets? and is that a totall pain to do? or could someone that is handy with working on cars could tackle in a weekend? btw my car has 150 thousand mls i really need some help on this its are family car and i need it 2 be reliable for me and my kids i live in nebraska and being stranded on the side of the road in the winter is no good and thanx for all the help
Old December 21st, 2009, 7:27 AM
CF Beginner

I am a novice mechanic at best and I hate to be the bearer of possible bad news but our Impalas are notorious for bad head gaskets. Bad to the point that there is a lawsuit out there against GM for several thousand Impala owners over a similar situation.

I would have a friend who is a good mechanic check the upper and low head gaskets.
Old December 27th, 2009, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Is there any lawsuits for bad transmissions @ 72000k on a Impala?
Old January 6th, 2010, 5:56 PM
CF Active Member

I am sure that your intake gasket is at fault like thousand of other impala owners if your year is 2003 and lower. The 2004 models were corrected from this problem of dexcool eating the plastic intake manifold gasket. I had a 2003 impala with 160,000 kilometers a bit over 100,000 milles. I had no isue with my gasket. It was only a matter of time but the real issue came from my transmission with major problems concerning the lazy solenoids that were giving hesitations at start up etc . I got rid of this car to upgrade for a 2009 uplander lt. So far the van has 16,000 kilometers and not a single issue of troubles.
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:37 PM
Impala Super Moderator

Intake gasket is your problem
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:02 PM
CF Beginner

how hard is it to replace this gasket... and if I have one which had the gaskets replaced 4 years ago will it to still have the potential to a dex cool problem again
Old April 5th, 2010, 7:53 AM
Impala Super Moderator

Dex Cool was never the problem. Its just bad gaskets. Ive never done it myself, but its not horribly bad
Old May 3rd, 2010, 2:55 AM
CF Beginner

I have had your same problems!! and so has my buddy with the 2003 impala upstate as well. Cost $575 to replace the gasket 3 weeks ago, and guess what wnt out this week? THE TRANNY! Anyone have a link to that chevy impala tranny lawsuit? I think I and the rest of us have grounds for a claim. BTW, anyone know if the 4T65E transmission from another car can be used? Thank you!
Old May 4th, 2010, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Gosh anyone have information on this lawsuit. I cannot afford to pay for a transmission on a car I still owe on. This is crazy!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 5th, 2010, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dwright85
i have a 2000 impala with the 3.4 v6 and i am slowly losing coolant thought i had a bad thermostat but it didn't fix the problem it doesn't run at full tempusually at 2/3 of the way warm and i also have a bad radiator fan i believe its the main one not the aux i run my defroster so the other one kicks on intermittantly i smell coolant when my car is running but it doesn't leave puddles or nething like that there is no coolant in my oil or in the radiator so what gives? could it be bad intake manifold gaskets? and is that a totall pain to do? or could someone that is handy with working on cars could tackle in a weekend? btw my car has 150 thousand mls i really need some help on this its are family car and i need it 2 be reliable for me and my kids i live in nebraska and being stranded on the side of the road in the winter is no good and thanx for all the help
Intake leak is right. Replace the intake at the same time. Trust me. Or it will leak again.

Quick Reply: help!!!!!! major problems 2000 impala