Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Help with steering issue - 07 Impala

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2009, 9:15 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with steering issue - 07 Impala

Hello all,

I have a 2007 Impala SS with 47,500 Miles on it. About 4000 miles ago I noticed that, when in park, my steering began to whine when making slow, sharp turns (i never turn the wheel all the way left or right). It was also a little bit more difficult to turn the wheel than it ususally was.

Brought the car to the dealer and they topped of the power steering fluid but didnt do much else. This fixed the issue. Well, now the issue is back again. It is no huge problem, but it feels the same as it did before they topped off the power steering fluid. So i assume I am losing fluid somehow. Any ideas? Is this common? And what do I tell the stealership to get the to actually FIX the problem and not just bandage it?

Thanks for any replies!
Old September 20th, 2009, 11:01 PM
CF Veteran

Did they check for leaks??
Old September 22nd, 2009, 8:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Apparently there are no leaks. They claim that issue lies in the strut tower mounts... the rubber bushinging on top of the front struts. They think that since these have worn out, it is causing added stress on the steering. I am skeptical, as they first thought it was the steering column. THen they changed their story to this. GEtting fixed next week, we will see if it helps.
Old September 24th, 2009, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

And I'm sure all the forum members are getting tired of me saying this but....have them check the intermediate steering shaft as this is a problematic thing with Imps.
Old September 24th, 2009, 11:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the input Gwampa, but Im well aware of the I.S.S. issue with these cars... the I.S.S. on my vehicle has been replaced a total of 4 times in its lifetime. 3 prior to my ownership, and one recently. ALLEGEDLY GM redesigned the part (again) and the one I had installed will be "a lot less likley to have issues." 5000 miles and still no issues but who knows.
Old September 24th, 2009, 9:31 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah, so far I got 20,000+ on mine (I.S.S.) and so far so good.....you just never know.
Old October 1st, 2009, 7:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Strut tower mounts replaced and the steering does feel a lot smoother. I hear some SLIGHT noise when I am turning in park, but nothing to cause for concern (yet).

But now I can hear a slight rattling when I go over bumps. I am not sure if the steering column was put back in incorrectly, or if I have a suspension issue such as stabilizer links or struts. Anyone else have any input on this?