Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

help with stereo wiring..

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2010, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with stereo wiring..

alright..well ive successfully removed the stock stereo from the dash with the help of the pinned thread and now i need some assistance..

i have a single din stereo but i have a 04 impala which has a double din. im gonna get the dash kit for it but the wiring is the part thats confusing me.

i know the aftermarket stereo has a 15 amp thingy in the back but i dont know what the original wires are in the impala. i want to get a wire harness yet i have no idea of which to buy and get. help would be nice.

http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=1135 something from there maybe?
Old December 26th, 2010, 5:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

go to PepBoys and get the GM wiring harness for your model car.
Old December 26th, 2010, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

how much do you think it would cost? for the harness?
Old December 28th, 2010, 9:20 AM
CF Veteran

$10...............................
Old December 28th, 2010, 12:50 PM
CF Beginner

well i bought one and it wasnt compatible with my car. but the dash kits are the ones im looking for. is there any harnesses that i dont have to cut and connect and crimp it?
Old December 28th, 2010, 2:51 PM
CF Veteran

You bought the wrong one.
At the top of the package it tells you which cars it applies to. It is really not that hard. The speaker wires are color coded with the speakers from the receiver. After that there should only be about 4-5 wires left, a. battery, b. ground. c. accessory power, d. antenna/amp power on e. probably a couple illumination wires.

From your level of confusion it may be better if you just bring it to a stereo/alarm guy and pay him to do it.

Last edited by RacerX; December 28th, 2010 at 2:54 PM.
Old December 31st, 2010, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

well i just installed it fine. its all up in the dash and everything. i connected the corresponding color wires and put everything where its supposed to be.

the wires that came with the aftermarket stereo didnt have illumination wires and some other wire as well. i just left that alone. i start up the car fine but it doesnt light up and also there is no sound. the cd drive thing works perfectly but when i insert a cd nothing happens.
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Speaker wires are easy and color coded. You cant mess that up. Dont worry about the illumination wires. All that is left is blue, red, black and yellow. Blue is the amp/antenna turn on, Yellow is constant battery power, Red is Accessory battery power and Black is ground. There may be 2 black wires(if this is a Panasonic). What kind of radio is this?

Is this a new radio? If the stereo turns on but plays nothing then the speakers arent connected correctly. Or the volume is down, or the internal amp is off. If it doesnt turn on, light up nor play, just accepts/ejects the CD, the Red and Yellow power wires are mismatched.

Take a photo of it and post it here so I can see what you did.
Old January 8th, 2011, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Okay..heres a pic of the wires crimped. all of them color coded correctly. Also, there was another wire thing to connect to but i didnt have a harness for that one. heres what it looks like.

And is this the antenna or something? couldnt connect this to anything..

Old January 8th, 2011, 5:32 PM
CF Beginner

yes that is for the antenna. you have to get a GM adapter for it. then you plug it in the back of the after market stereo

Quick Reply: help with stereo wiring..