Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Ignition Switch Replaced, OLD Keys Work...

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2014, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd2869
I am understanding this correctly?

GM recalled a 12 year old + vehicle for an ignition switch?

How embarrassing that you actually showed up at the dealership expecting them to replace a switch on a car with likely more than 120,000 miles.

I have been saying it all along, Americans are ****** who expect something for nothing on a regular basis.

How embarrassing that you actually showed up expecting GM to fix
a car that is over 12 years old!!!!!!!!!!

Sad state of affairs. Embarrassing at every level. "Give me something for nothing GOD DAMNIT!!!!" "I DESERVE SOMETHING FOR NOTHING LIKE ALL AMERICANS!!!!!!!"

PIECE OF **** on every possible level. Embarrasssing ****s asking for compensation!

Dont forget.................Sledge argued how 20" tires have the thinnest rims therefore the loudest tire noise. This is an example of stupidity. Americans are so stupid nowadays it is embarrassing beyond belief. Good luck to you "ignant" ******** with no clue. Strapping a 9mm will not make you cool or smart. That much has been proven. Any chance you fools see the mis spelled words? Doubt it!!!!

I wish the manufacturer would recall my broken tv and computer.
Old October 1st, 2014, 8:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd2869
I am understanding this correctly?

GM recalled a 12 year old + vehicle for an ignition switch?

How embarrassing that you actually showed up at the dealership expecting them to replace a switch on a car with likely more than 120,000 miles.

I have been saying it all along, Americans are ****** who expect something for nothing on a regular basis.

How embarrassing that you actually showed up expecting GM to fix
a car that is over 12 years old!!!!!!!!!!

Sad state of affairs. Embarrassing at every level. "Give me something for nothing GOD DAMNIT!!!!" "I DESERVE SOMETHING FOR NOTHING LIKE ALL AMERICANS!!!!!!!"

PIECE OF **** on every possible level. Embarrasssing ****s asking for compensation!

Dont forget.................Sledge argued how 20" tires have the thinnest rims therefore the loudest tire noise. This is an example of stupidity. Americans are so stupid nowadays it is embarrassing beyond belief. Good luck to you "ignant" ******** with no clue. Strapping a 9mm will not make you cool or smart. That much has been proven. Any chance you fools see the mis spelled words? Doubt it!!!!

Who pissed in your Wheaties?

People have died from this as a result.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 4:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
Who pissed in your Wheaties?

People have died from this as a result.

Most of these idiots who died were slammed drunk and not wearing seat belts driving at high rates of speed.

Scary that anyone would die because of a car shutting off. It is extremely scary that no one is bringing up the fact that the engine shutting off will not cause an accident unless the driver is incompetent in the first place.

Anyone who died as a result of their car shutting off was either stupid or incompetent. No other way to look at it.
Old October 30th, 2014, 10:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch replaced

It sounds like the ignition LOCK, not the ignition SWITCH was replaced and the dealer got the ignition lock keyed the same as the original lock. Since the 60's and probably before, on most GM cars, the ignition lock is where one inserts the key to start the vehicle. The ignition lock pushes a rod that operates the ignition switch which is located down on the steering column just under the dash. I'm not sure if current models are different than the above.
Old October 31st, 2014, 8:19 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would still do as the dealer said and throw the old keys out. If, indeed the dealer did replace the lock cylinder and have it matched to the VIN, if you look at both your old and new keys you can see a lot of wear on the old key. Using the old key with a new cylinder can accelerate wear on the new cylinder.
Old November 10th, 2014, 10:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last Thursday I took in the wife's 06 Impala, and they put in the insert and the car would not start, the service manager came over and put in the key and it started, and he gave me that you fool look. Two hours later got gas and it wouldn't start again. I waiting about 5 min and tried again with the other key and it started. I took it back and told them what happened, they took out the Tech2 and scanned it. The scan said it was a bad key and had disabled the start. All weekend we used the one key and no problem. Last night the wife went out and it wouldn't start again. I got my key removed her key, walked away from the car for 5 minutes and it started. Back at the dealership today they are trying to tell me it might be a faulty ignition module.
The car was fine for 9 years they have the keys for 1/2 hours and one key is faulty and they are telling me to come in and get an ignition module replaced. Common sense would be to program another key and see if that cures the problem. Oh and now they are saying the key is not a chip key. Hmmm
Old November 10th, 2014, 1:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by srp204
Last Thursday I took in the wife's 06 Impala, and they put in the insert and the car would not start, the service manager came over and put in the key and it started, and he gave me that you fool look. Two hours later got gas and it wouldn't start again. I waiting about 5 min and tried again with the other key and it started. I took it back and told them what happened, they took out the Tech2 and scanned it. The scan said it was a bad key and had disabled the start. All weekend we used the one key and no problem. Last night the wife went out and it wouldn't start again. I got my key removed her key, walked away from the car for 5 minutes and it started. Back at the dealership today they are trying to tell me it might be a faulty ignition module.
The car was fine for 9 years they have the keys for 1/2 hours and one key is faulty and they are telling me to come in and get an ignition module replaced. Common sense would be to program another key and see if that cures the problem. Oh and now they are saying the key is not a chip key. Hmmm
Odd that places are still selling recalled type keys.

2006-2014 Chevrolet Impala Circle Plus Blank Ignition Key