Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Just bought a 2007 Chevy Impala with 67855 miles

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2015, 10:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by U.Nanimous
OK, so just bought it, no warning lights, read a bunch of O2 and other nonsense codes.

Clear all the codes, drive it about 50 miles and then see what comes back! And just look for stored or pending codes with the engine off. Did the PO or you switch fuels (unleaded vs E85), that will confuse the O2 sensors for a while. I've read a few BMW people using the Elm327 bluetooth OBDII and the Torque app on their phone, personally I use an Autel AL619 even though it costs a bit more. My mother bought an '08 back in September and I used it check out the engine, ABS/Traction and airbag systems.

As for the tire pressure monitor, you need to get out your owners manual and be sure to do it right. I don't know much about it but I do know that when you rotate the tires the pressure sensors (on the valve stems) will be telling the car the wrong tire is low so that does require a re-learning procedure. Other than that, I believe you can access the pressures from a button on the dash (right hand may reach it from the steering wheel..."Info" button?). And tire wear depends on how and where the car is driven and cared for as much as the type of tire. I'm guessing it was pretty nicely cared for since they know about the sensors after a tire rotation.

And about the gas pedal response, once you are sure there is nothing wrong with car - drive it like you stole it at least once a week! At 67K miles it is broken in, but sounds like it may have been babied too much. Lastly, fresh tires on a front wheel drive car always feels like Pole Position - on dry pavement.

Congratulations...now how about a picture of that "pretty" car?
Sure, I will clear those codes & rerun the tests tomorrow. I will also take a picture of it.

I was disappointed to find out that it didn't have ABS or Traction Control as I thought. 2007 is well into the 2000s but oh well, I am defensive driver for a long time so I'll adjust. I was also surprised to see the KBB value compared to what I paid, I felt guilty for a bit until I realized it was a lot better than any lot would have paid.
Old December 14th, 2015, 5:18 PM
CF Active Member

That is surprising an 8th gen Impala at least didn't have ABS standard, traction control is just kind of a piggyback computer from there.

When I bought my 2000 it needed front wheel bearings and I was surprised when the guy at the parts store asked me if it had 4 wheel ABS. I thought either you had no ABS or it was on all 4 wheels, according to his computer you could get the car with 2 wheel ABS though.
Old December 14th, 2015, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

I kept seeing ads that said 4 ABS brakes but like you I was thinking why wouldn't you put all 4 wheels on ABS brakes? And I couldn't have sworn I asked the people if I bought it from whether it had ABS & Traction but must not of. I think I must of had two tabs of KBB.com open and looked at the wrong tab because I also made an offer $1600 under the KBB price for that car which I would never of done, I just wouldn't have offered. And I just now noticed today, almost a week later, a few hail dings on the roof so I'm not a picky shopper. Anyway, for 4 wheel ABS, it's not like that's going to run off the buyer of a new car because they added $400 to the final costs of the car.

That said, searching for this car taught me a lot what to look for, especially safety wise. I look forward to when 2016 Safety Tech on the IIHS.org Safety+ ratings becomes available at used car prices.

Hmmm...the picture I took is blurry & I can't figure out how to transfer it to my PC from my Android tablet. Not near as easy as emailing my Torque log to my PC. I'll post it some other time.

Last edited by JunkyardJack; December 14th, 2015 at 6:16 PM.