Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

new here and need some help

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2006, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new here and need some help

I just recently purchased a 2000 chevy impala ls. The car is really comfortable since I'm used to hondas n acuras. Well just a few days ago 3 things happened to the car. First the fan for the climate control stopped working. Well it does blow hot or cold but only when I put it on 5 only. What could that be? And how could I fix it? Next the car was installed with a remote starter. But manually starting the car you have to attempt it about 2-3times. It will start them turn off instantly. Sounds like its having trouble turning over. Finally I got an oil change at a quick lube. Usaully I do it myself. Well 3days later I turn the car on and its says "change oil". I had them put high mileage oil in the car so maybe that could be the problem? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old November 16th, 2006, 1:01 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: new here and need some help

Welcome, The oil change light probably has a reset somewhere. Look in the owners manual. The fan switch may be bad since it works but only in that position, Probably a rheostat type. I'm clueless anout the auto start deal though. Good luck.
Old November 19th, 2006, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

You could try the fan switch seeing as it's probably the easiest to access. The switch is not a rheostat type. Chances are it's the blower motor resistor which is a little more difficult. The 'change oil' message comes on electronically at certain intervals. I've never figured out exactly what the intervals are. It can be reset using the buttons on the radio. Your owners manual explains the sequence to follow. No idea with the remote starter.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2003 impala and when I put the fan switch to 1, it will not work, but the rest of the numbers will. any ideas? Thanks.
Old February 11th, 2007, 3:30 AM
CF Beginner

Hello,
With the heater fan issue, I have a 2000 Malibu that the Blower Motor Relay went. This caused the issue with the blower only working on it's highest setting. Not sure where it is on the Impala, but on the Malibu, It's buried way behind the glove box & took it to a mechanic to be repaired.
Old February 12th, 2007, 2:18 AM
LA1
CF Beginner

On my 2003 to reset the oil change light ( going by memory ) with the radio off, engine off, key on
push and hold the **** that says " disp " till ( usually 10 - 20 seconds) the radio display ( forgot what it says) lets you know you are in user mode. then I think it is the time set buttons you use to scroll, then to enter you hit I think disp again. not sure, i am sure though about holding in disp.
Old February 12th, 2007, 2:07 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in regards to the oil.... its fine.
simply- the oil change guys did not reset the oil life monitor.
Next time you change the oil- follow the procedures to reset the light.
Look in your owners manual.
But the system works like this...
It does not analyze the oil itself.........
but what it does- is that GM engineers have taken studies of how oil degrades over time in relation to engine temp, rpms, etc....
they took all these studies- and came up with an algorithm. (this algorithm is also specific to the engines and oil types- for example the corvette has the system but its synthetic, trailblazers have 7qts in a 6 cylinder engine etc)
So its tailored to your engine.
This algorithm - sort of a mathematical formula.... has a preset number.
hears the neat thing....
this number is subtracted from (or penalized) as you drive-
numbers are subtracted for engine temperature- engine revolutions- and a few other things...
so- there is no real preset time at which your oil light will come on- its all dependant on how YOU drive the car.
For example- take3 people in a similar Impala.
person 1- city driving, continous stop and go, idling in traffic, engine temps rise....
theis person is getting penalized more because in stop and go you do alot of revving and stopping. step on gas- engine revvs go up and you stop... and the engine runs warmer as you sit there.... this person will have his engine light come on alot sooner because under these conditions- oil degrades faster
person 2- highway driving- this person takes long highway trips. gets on the highway and cruises at 60-70 for an hour on his way to work- same thing going home. this is ideal- hes doing 65- and his engine RPMs are low- hes in overdrive- maybe doing what...1500-2000? and the the engine stays at normal operating temps... no overheating... in this scenario- the # is penalized very little- (but is still subtracting because the computer is subtraction the engine revolutions).... so here, youll travel many miles before the light comes on..
person 3.. short drives....... this person hops in his car- and drives to work- 5 miles away. the system recognizes that this person drove with an essentially cold engine- never really reached operating temps... so his counter takes a big hit- why? cold engines revv more to warm up AND short distance/cold engine drives are also 'bad' because moisture builds up in oil- never reaching operating temp long enough doesnt allow the moisture to be 'burned off'.

so the scenarios are different. light will come on at different intervals. depending how you drive.
so remember- if your car calls for Dino oil, the algorith is set for dino oil.....
ive seen many people on forums throw a fit because they put in Synthetic and the oil light came on at 4000 miles....
the system has no way of knowing that you put in synthetic. so even though the light came on- the synthetic is still good- since they run alot longer.
the corvette and other GM cars that come with synthetic from the factory- their algorithm is set to take into account that they have long life synthetic.

so enjoy this system- it received rave reviews from the society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).
As an example- with my driving in my 03 trailblazer-(inline 6 with 7qts of oil) I usually go 7-10000 miles between oil changes on regular oil- but remember- that this engine has 7 qts- not 5.
And yes- Ive heard people say its the worst thing I can do- cause they do it at 3000.....
3000 is the rule of the past (and on lower quality oil)- and a rule that quick lube places want you to believe- they make money changing your oil- often.
Old June 10th, 2013, 4:12 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Good afternoon, All help is appreciated.

I have a 2000 Impala 3.4l. I'm having a/c problems.
First the manual climate control cluster would lock up (not switch between circulation types) then would change between circulation lights as the fan switch was turned between settings.
The a/c would take a second to kick on on any setting except 5. Then only 5/high and would cut off.
Saturday It worked on high good cold air on the way to get the blower resistor. Leaving it wouldnt blow thru the vents but cold air could be felt being seeping thru during drive home.
I replaced the resistor (which I believe also has the relay as part of it) and checked the blower motor by hooking to battery, which ran fine. I turned the car on and the climate control looked fine at first outside air cric light and a/c light but switching fan control causes lights to be all on or off as the **** is moved.
Should the climate cluster be the only problem left or at least need to be replaced before moving on. Is there a way to bypass the control to atleast see if the rest of the system works without the control in the way.
Thanks for you time and help. Have a good day.