Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

PCV Issue

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2011, 1:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV Issue

Hello everyone, I have a 2008 LT2 3.9 V6 with 72,000 miles on it. After changing my oil this week, I observed orange/ brown rust colored build up on the under side of the oil filler cap and also inside of the pipe. There was also condensation and frost on the cap. I noticed oil on the undercarriage, not alot but it looks like a small leak. This is all new, as I always change my oil every 3000 and never saw this before.

Initially, I attempted to check the PCV valve. I located the valve, however it does not just pull out like a normal PCV valve. Also, none of my local auto parts stores have a replacement listed in their computers.

Does anyone know what the deal is with this valve, how to check it to be sure it's functioning properly, and/ or replace it? I searched through past threads and posts and did not find anything about this. If anyone has any other ideas as to what the problem is, I would like to hear them. I did not see any anti-freeze in the drain oil. Thanks.
Old January 15th, 2011, 8:11 AM
CF Junior Member

You can start it up and see if it is pulling a vacuum by removing the oil cap or the dipstick and see if it is sucking in air.
Old January 20th, 2011, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Update: Osborn, I did not notice any vacuum.

I took the car to a dealer today who confirmed that the head gaskets need to be replaced. They provided me with a summary of all warranty repairs made to my vehicle. The summary indicates that two weeks prior to my purchase, both head gaskets were replaced. The car had 41K miles on it at the time. With that being said, the dealership referred me to return the vehicle to the previous dealer. The service consultant said that I would be covered since my vehicle is still under warranty and that the replacement gaskets only last 30K, almost to the mile.

I have since made an appointment and will bring it in next week. As for now, I rented a 2011 Impala LT and am having fun driving it. I rented the vehicle as a precaution because this problem is progressing and I do not want to cause any engine damage.