Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Is a supercharger worth it?

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2011, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a supercharger worth it?

I have a 02 chevy impala 3.8 police pgk. I was looking into putting a supercharger in, but I didnt know what was the best way to go about put one on my engine. What are some best ways of putting one on and is it worth it ? Can anybody tell me what you think.
Old June 1st, 2011, 8:46 PM
CF Junior Member

I think you may be opening up a can of worms. Do you plan to do the work your self? How much expert experience do you have? You might ask what will be the cars worth before and after the refit? What is the condition of the Impala now?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 6:54 AM
CF Beginner

No I was going to have someone else put it on, but after reading your thead and doing some more research, I have come to find out that its a bad idea. I dont have any expert experience, I was just trying to find out some ways to increase speed and horse power on my impala. My 02 impala is in great condition it has 130,000 miles on it and it runs great, for being x police car. But do you and suggestions on increasing horse power for 02 impala 3.8, because I just dont know where to start.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 9:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Lime, if you have an '02 with 130,000 on it and no problems don't look for any. That 3.8 should move real nice. Adding a supercharger is only the first step. Maintaining the fuel/air ratio is what will cost$$$ you. Not for an amature. Enjoy the Impala and maintain it. There is no way you can increase the HP without putting stress on the rest of the car which may lead to $$$$. If it runs well leave it alone!!!! You may want to check/replace the air filter and replace the PCV valve if needed. Keep it out of the shop!!! Check all the fluid levels. If the transmission fluid is clear leave it alone. Make sure your replace any fluids with the exact kind needed. I am running full synthetic in my '09. Good luck with it.

Last edited by klutz1; June 3rd, 2011 at 9:58 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old June 4th, 2011, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

Klutz1, thanks for getting back to me. I recently just purchased the k&n air intake. I am taking your advice with leaving the car as is. Because I know this impala can start to cost $$$$. But do you suggest any good perfomance heads or is that a bad idea to ?
Old June 5th, 2011, 9:00 AM
CF Junior Member

You are wise to leave it alone unless you have unlimited $$$$$. There is no end of vendors that want to sell their equiptment and make all sorts of claims about what it is supposed to do. If someone else besides you does the work and it is unsatisfactory then you have to BEG them to correct. Not a good position to be in. Your Imapla has 130,000 miles on it. Generally, any money you put into it you won't get back in a resale. Getting a good used car is tough enough. If you got a ggod one it is a keeper. Put some mileage on it. you may find it may need tires, brakes, etc that you didn't anticipate. Better idea for performance is to save your money and buy a factory performance vehicle like the Impala V8.