Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Impala (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/)
-   -   Text Message Capability (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/text-message-capability-65847/)

sblavesc June 11th, 2014 2:14 PM

Originally Posted by LarryFL (Post 277906)
No, nothing to read on MyLink...it's all read through speakers. It would defeat the purpose if you had to read something (you may as well read your phone, then crash into the car in front ).

There is no way to have Chevie re-read past messages either... she only reads new messages as they arrive, unless you choose to 'ignore'. I just wish there was an auto-read feature of the current conversation so you don't get prompted for each text. Then again, you could text them back to call you instead :p

If you don't mind me asking, what type of phone do you have. My friends 2014 Camaro has a messaging app that you click on the home screen that displays text messages and has quick replies. It will also alert you and read them. Just curious if this is how your impala is. I am just so confused why your system would have it and others would not. The only conclusion I can come to is they put out 2 different versions of my link on the impalas.

sledge.impy June 11th, 2014 2:24 PM

Originally Posted by sblavesc (Post 277924)
If you don't mind me asking, what type of phone do you have. My friends 2014 Camaro has a messaging app that you click on the home screen that displays text messages and has quick replies. It will also alert you and read them. Just curious if this is how your impala is. I am just so confused why your system would have it and others would not. The only conclusion I can come to is they put out 2 different versions of my link on the impalas.

We only have Pandora app. No text message app. Android phone, bluetoothed.

LarryFL June 11th, 2014 2:36 PM

Originally Posted by sblavesc (Post 277924)
If you don't mind me asking, what type of phone do you have. . . . . .

I have three devices Bluetooth-configured:
  • Windows Phone: Samsung Neo
  • iPhone: 5C
  • Android: Samsung S4
...but can only confirm messages through two of them (Windows and IPhone).

sblavesc June 11th, 2014 5:33 PM

I also have a Android phone, Wonder if it is just the Android phones not working???

LarryFL June 12th, 2014 6:10 AM

Originally Posted by sblavesc (Post 277901)
So do you actually have a messaging app on the mylink home screen. I also have a 2LTZ, that was purchased a month ago and I do not have this feature. It would be nice to know , but Chevy CSR or infotaiment support could not answer my question when I referred to the manual where is said if equipped. Well what determines if it is equipped? or is there a update to mylink that needs to be done?

I find it strange that you have a LTZ w/2LT that doesn't have the feature and they can tell that by the VIN. You say you bought it last month, but what was your build date?

For mine, I just checked the brochure and window sticker and it makes no mention of text feature yet I have it. If they mentioned it in the literature, or was on the window sticker, Chevy would have to get it added to your vehicle somehow (by changing the head unit, I guess). Even if the salesman demo'd it during the test drive but sold you a different car, the dealership would have to make it right (which is why they always want you buy the exact car you test drove.)

sblavesc June 12th, 2014 9:22 AM

[QUOTE=LarryFL;277970]I find it strange that you have a LTZ w/2LT that doesn't have the feature and they can tell that by the VIN. You say you bought it last month, but what was your build date?

Here is what CSR messaged me with

"Hey there,

Thank you for the VIN. After looking into your vehicle build sheet, there is not a text messaging feature equipped in your Impala. Have you considered contacting our Infotainment team for further assistance? They should be able to pin point the concern and possibly clarify anything further for you. I saw that Jessica gave you the number, but I will give it to you again to be sure; 855-478-7767. Let me know if you make contact, and if you have any updates.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care"

My build is 12/2013. The feature was never demoed to me in the impala, we first were looking at the traverse and this is were I tested my phone out. Then moved on to the impala and just asked if it had the same text messaging function and was told yes. So my fault for not testing (it was also noted as a feature by another dealer when price shopping). I did also call GM and they did state the Impala does not support this feature. I wonder if you got a Testing\Beta unit installed in your impala by accident. Can you post you software version of mylink.

luckydriver June 13th, 2014 9:09 AM

if i can get a phone that will definitely interrupt the radio with even an incoming text warning, i think i may have to get that phone. but i'm not wanting apple stuff. i have a droid now. i would probably deal with a windows phone.

luckydriver June 13th, 2014 9:18 AM

i found this video

How to use Text Message Alerts in a 2014 Chevrolet with MyLink - YouTube

and this link to chevy

Overview
so you can play around with phone configs

sblavesc June 13th, 2014 2:28 PM

LarryFL was the only person I heard state that his works. I even paired my sons iphone 5 and it still would not alert. So this is why I am curious to see what software version he has on mylink.

sblavesc June 13th, 2014 2:52 PM

I did just receive a call from chevy infotaiment support and they confirmed from their documents that the 2014 impala does NOT support this feature. She did state some phones have a "Drive Mode". Basically the phone knows it is paired to a vehicle and does its own read out of the message through Bluetooth streaming, So it appears that mylink is reading them out but actually the phone is just streaming the readout audio itself. They expect a update to come out, but that will not happen until the 4g Hotspot options in the new vehicles and app store go live.