Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Trying to buy an 09 Impala SS. Is my price reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2012, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to buy an 09 Impala SS. Is my price reasonable?

Hey, just joined the forms. I've used it in the past to research Impalas and to help my folks diagnose problems with theirs. I've never posted before though, figured I might ask for some advice now.

Buying a used car for the first time! Was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some advice or let me in on the prices people have paid for an Impala SS recently.

They're asking $18988 for it. I managed to bring them down to $17750. I left the dealership telling them my last offer was $16,200. Just wondering if my price is WAY off base.

Besides the usual SS specs it has a little over 30,600 miles on it. It's Certified. It's been on the lot since November 2011. They've apparently used it as a service vehicle (loaner when someone's getting their car repaired). When it was listed in inventory it only had 29799 miles on it (so nearly 1000 miles of random people driving it).

Couple of visible scratches on the hood (it's bright red and the scratches are white, can't really buff those out). Few dings to the paint here and there (no dents) which raise a future rust concern for me. Everything else seems ship shape.

Here's the story if anyone's interested:

I was actually REALLY surprised by how brief the negotiations were. I started at $15,200. He made a few concessions and then told me he'd "decertify" the vehicle to bring it down to $17750. Eventually I worked up to $16,200. I think my offer is great considering the noticeable scratches (it bugs me a little) and considering they used it as a service vehicle.

He was pretty much done negotiating at that point so I decided to walk. I thanked him and offered my phone number so we could stay in touch. I figure he could stew over my offer and make another concession or two (my cap is $16,700). He ended up springing a tactic on me that I hadn't expected. He wouldn't take my phone number (because they're a no pressure dealership). That threw me off. Does this guy even want to sell this car? I ended up shrugging and leaving. On my way out I took his business card, an spec sheet and had him give me his price in writing. I also grabbed an extra business card and penned my name on the back along with my number and price...gave it to the receptionist to give to him (hah!). I have a feeling I won't hear back from the guy. It's shame though, it was a decent car. Maybe I wasn't offering enough for it.

Last edited by sidepart; September 18th, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old September 27th, 2012, 2:22 AM
CF Beginner

The 2009 Chevrolet Impala is ranked #11 in 2009 Affordable Large Cars by U.S. News. You ust know the complete list of 2009 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Ratings and Reviews.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 6:32 AM
CF Beginner

After doing some research, over here in the mid Atlantic region, suggested retail price for a FULLY LOADED '09 Impala SS (with sunroof, Bose stereo system with navigation, Bluetooth, etc) In EXCELLENT condition (no mechanical issues, relatively new matching tires, no paint or body issues, etc) with that mileage is $20,475. It may differ slightly if you live in a different region of the country tho.... But this is suggested retail. Basically a starting point for negotiations to begin at. Of course you should dock some for the paint issue and all, but I don't really see anyone accepting an offer of 16,700. Again this is going off suggested retail for the mid Atlantic region. Suggested retail may be cheaper in your area. I'd do some research if I were you. Go Kelley Blue Book's site and NADA's site and look up the suggested price in you region. Print it all out and take t in to the guy. Show it to him then explain that the price is for a car in EXCELLENT condition (you can find criteria for "excellent" condition on KBB's site) and begin negotiations from there. If you can agree on a price, GREAT!!! If not, it may be time to look at an older SS or maybe a different trim line. Either way good luck!!!
Old October 9th, 2012, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Dealers usually buy the cars for DIRT cheap, so don't feel too bad. I'd be willing to bet that he picked it up for 12-13k at an auction.