Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

wrong oil

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2011, 11:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrong oil

On our new 2011 Impala conventional 5w30 was put in and I hadn't read the literature on the new dexos oil yet. Is this one time gonna hurt anything?
Old October 12th, 2011, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I doubt you need to worry. They call for dexos1 certified engine oil or an acceptable substitute (read API SN with Starburst symbol). Unless it's been sitting on a shelf for a long time, the conventional oil was API-certified SN. If it bothers you, change it out at 50% oil life reading.
Old October 12th, 2011, 8:50 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Change it. Most likely it will not hurt it BUT what if it does? Is the risk worth $20 in oil? If something happens and GM tests it they will void the warranty. Mobil 1 meets Dexos spec . I would not worry about changing the filter again
Old October 13th, 2011, 1:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Change it. Most likely it will not hurt it BUT what if it does? Is the risk worth $20 in oil? If something happens and GM tests it they will void the warranty. Mobil 1 meets Dexos spec . I would not worry about changing the filter again
GM cannot void the warranty unless they can prove the oil caused the problem. Almost all of the modern actually meets the Dexos spec. but they have elected not to pay GM for the certification. It is another way for GM to rob us. If the oil companies pay GM the extra for the certification, they will simply pass the cost on to us. Does it make you wonder why they now require Dexos spec oil in the exact same engine they have used for years before they invented the Dexos spec?