K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

Transmission topics

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission topics

is the bell housing bolt pattern for the diesel a big block pattern?
will a chevy 700 fit like a 400 trans?
or is it small block. will a 300 or powerglide bolt up?
Old September 8th, 2009, 8:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 700r4 that came off a diesel and bolted right up to an '89 350. the t.v. cable never was adjusted right though, pay close attention to that. Personally I thought all chevy bell housing bolt patterns, big or small block, were the same for the 700r4, th400, th350, and powerglide, up until recently that is.
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

ok cool thanks ill hafta check if the bolt pattern changed between then, and the 70s ( i dont think it did though)
if thats the case i might put one in my chevelle (OD and not having a heavy clutch petal in traffic would be nice)
what is a TV cable though?
im planning on getting a floor mount cable shifter if i do this though

thanks again
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

A t.v. is a throttle valve cable. It connects to your throttle body or carb, the other end down into the trans. "When the throttle is depressed, the cable is "pulled" progressively with throttle position. In addition to providing forced downshifts (kickdown), and progressively later (higher speed) upshifts at higher throttle settings, the throttle valve also adjusts main line pressure in the transmission. Operating a transmission with the TV cable out of adjustment, can, not only produce early, or late upshifts, but incorrect line pressure, as well. What this means, in simple terms, is that TV pressure that is too low, will produce main line pressure that is also too low, and will eventually "burn" the transmission clutches."

I've had the same 700r4 rebuilt 12 times until my warranty was voided. The cause was this freaking cable was never adjusted correctly, partially my fault for ignorance, partially the shops for not trying to help out a 16yr old. A floor mount is not going to effect the t.v. cable.
and the 70's bolt pattern should be the same.
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
A t.v. is a throttle valve cable. It connects to your throttle body or carb, the other end down into the trans. "When the throttle is depressed, the cable is "pulled" progressively with throttle position. In addition to providing forced downshifts (kickdown), and progressively later (higher speed) upshifts at higher throttle settings, the throttle valve also adjusts main line pressure in the transmission. Operating a transmission with the TV cable out of adjustment, can, not only produce early, or late upshifts, but incorrect line pressure, as well. What this means, in simple terms, is that TV pressure that is too low, will produce main line pressure that is also too low, and will eventually "burn" the transmission clutches."

I've had the same 700r4 rebuilt 12 times until my warranty was voided. The cause was this freaking cable was never adjusted correctly, partially my fault for ignorance, partially the shops for not trying to help out a 16yr old. A floor mount is not going to effect the t.v. cable.
and the 70's bolt pattern should be the same.
nauticstar87 that is a great writeup for the tv cable.......ps i hate that damn cable
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:05 AM
CF Veteran

Gotta admit, stole it from 73-87.com
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:20 AM
CF Senior Member

it's all good, your contributing to the cause...chevy addiction
Old September 8th, 2009, 7:47 PM
CF Senior Member

hey thanks for the link gary
Old September 9th, 2009, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

ok cool
that explains what happened to my power glide
lol
thanks ill definitely be looking at that link if, god willing, i ever get a balzer
Old September 10th, 2009, 9:03 AM
CF Active Member

700r4's are garbage...that T.V. cable will get you unless its perfect.

Quick Reply: Transmission topics